New to me..........Emco Compact 8 Lathe

liteace

Registered
Registered
Ive finally got one after years of wanting a small lathe, its in quite good shape, it had a bit of surface rust that cleaned up with some wirewool and WD40, has also quite a few accessories, some are new. I need to know what that part is called (red arrow) someone had put an allen key bolt through there I would like the quick release set-up if poss so I can change the angle of the cutter

1.jpg
IMG-20211027-WA0059.jpg

Great find and those are getting more scarce year by year
If that is a Multifix toolpost it's an even better deal
What would you change about the mounting? Use of an allen wrench isn't all that inconvenient
-Mark

I don’t know the technical name for the bolt, pivot bolt? But most of that style of QCTP I see has just a nut on it. So the Allen head would be an improvement as far as clearance IMHO As there’s not much clearance between it and the height adjustment. Personally I’d make another bolt with a head like the locking stud uses so I could use that same handle on both of them.

My clone came with an AXA style QCTP and they made a nut with a handle on it. It works but having two handles so close together took a little getting used to and sometimes it interferes. Yours the handle isn’t attached so it would be easy to swap.

The unmodded thing on my 9x20 clone was the nut on the tailstock lock. I took a camlock kit meant for the 7x lathe tailstock and adapted it to my tailstock. Made life so much easier as I move the tailstock a lot!

It is the original Austrian made machine and it is very accurate and well made.
The chuck mounting is somewhat unusual and might require some work to install other chucks.
Little Machine Shop in the USA might have backplates for it which would make the job easier.
-M

The handles on my V-13 are spring loaded so they can be repositioned by pushing the handle down. The one on the tailstock and the one on the BXA toolpost are both that type. I think the one on the toolpost was a shop mod from available parts on hand.

Thanks for ALL the info guy's, very helpful, I might somehow add a drill stand / press to it so I can remove the tool post, put a vice on there for more precision drilling work, what do you guys think, anyone done, any ideas?

Thanks again

Back