New to me Fray 10R All Angle...

Scuffy

Registered
Registered
that I purchased this past fall. Originally from the Ravenna Arsenal, here in Ohio, I picked it up from a guy local to the arsenal for $300. How many owners came between him and the base? Lord only knows. Looks pretty complete... but for one glaring thing. The motor and accompanying shroud and stepped pulleys are missing from my Fray 10R. In all of my casual searching of the interwebs I have not yet come across any direct replacements. I realize the shrouds are more cosmetic than anything and I can fab up something much simpler to accomplish the same thing. So looking at a worst case scenario- I'm not adverse to some creative time with my steel supply. But the pulleys.. what of the stepped pulleys? Does anyone here still own their Fray 10R and would you be able to tell me what diameters I should be looking for if I am going for a replacement? For the speed ranges would you recommend any changes?

IMG_20200628_190622889.jpg
IMG_20200628_190636983.jpg
IMG_20200628_190719209.jpg
IMG_20200628_190758781.jpg

And secondly! I have read of a back gear assembly for this unit but I can't quite identify whether or not this has it. I am leaning towards a big whopping "NO".

Wow, a very worthy endeavor you have undertaken. Good luck.

You have inspired me to post my "madness" project - a radial arm drill, in pieces, no documentation available and only one obscure reference to another one in existence. Clearly a great idea to spend many hours on - and if it does come together well, I'd likely rarely use it (have plenty other drilling options).

When you move the quill up and down does the top pulley/gear remain stationary?
Just curious... :)

I have a Fray mill that is not the all angle head, just tilting in one plane, but the milling heads are the same; I have parts of another head, but will have to check it out to see what I have. The back gear unit is in the pulley assembly that fits over the spindle, it is a planetary gear unit.

So far, I found that I have the lower pulley that drives the back gear and the spline shaft Assembly that drives the quill and contains the planetary unit. the pulley has chunks missing from the smallest step and the one below has a small chunk missing, as does the one that I use in my shop, but that does not much matter, as I have never used those (very) high speeds; I thought that I had the motor as well, but have not been able to find it.

What spindle taper does yours have? The one that I use has a 30 NMTB taper, the parts one, I think had a #7 B&S. The drawbar is a Allen capscrew that is captive down below the spline shaft that the pulley rides on, it is tightened by a long shaft that has a hex milled on it, and a hex nut on top, it runs inside the spline shaft.

When you move the quill up and down does the top pulley/gear remain stationary?
Just curious... :)
The original pulley sits on that spline shaft and engages the planetary unit with a gear inside the pulley (the sun gear), the original pulley is actually two pulleys, the bottom one with 2 grooves and the top pulley with 4 grooves; with the back gear engaged, only the bottom (2 grooved pulley) is usable, so, the back gears only add two speeds to the unit, a total of 8 speeds. The back gears are engaged or disengaged by a knob on the side of the head under the pulley(s), you push it up and turn it clockwise and it threads into a driving plug in the planetary unit and pull down on it, unthread it from the plug, and it is in back gear; reverse the process and the plug ties both pulleys together for the fast range; there should be a plate on the side of the head that diagramaticaly shows how it works, the pin also serves as a spindle lock when tightening or loosening the drawbar.
The way the pictures show it, that pulley would raise and lower with the quill.

Fray mills have fascinated me since seeing one at a used machinery dealer in the 1980's.
Browsing vintagemachinery.org shows a couple different styles of head and indicates 1" collet capacity which to me, is amazing.

They had another model that offered even more angular features, they were made in Los Angeles, Ca., the one that I have was re branded with a plate screwed on over the Fray name, as Axelson, a maker of lathes also in L.A.

I have 3 friends and their buddies, that have Fray milling machines, everyone of them has a Bridgeport M-Head on it.

Back