New to me Harvel surface grinder

Who is that ugly old man in the background? Oh no, that's me!

I went with Andy so he would have someone to talk to for the long and slow drive to the SF bay area and back, and helped wrestle the machine on and off the drop deck trailer. We forgot to bring a come along with us. Do yourself a favor when you need to move a machine and rent a drop deck trailer if they are available in your area.

Andy, I think your Harvel might be a model 815, and 8x15" is about the chuck size (I didn't measure it, nice Walker Ceramax fine pole permanent magnet chuck.)

I saw somewhere that those narrow wheels with maybe diamonds embedded in the yellow metal might be for grinding glass. Maybe...

I have one just like it, but you got a lot more tooling than I did. Good score! :encourage:

I never actually measured mine. Just eyeballed it.:) I guess I should get out the yardstick.:grin:

I never actually measured mine. Just eyeballed it.:) I guess I should get out the yardstick.:grin:
Does yours have the big 12" wheel, Jim? If so, it is probably the 815. Digging on the web, about all I could find in Harvel was the 815. Bridgeport had one that size as well, and it looks like a clone except that the table traverse handle is on the left side of the carriage. I wonder if Harvel or Bridgeport or somebody else actually built both...

It has a big wheel, I'll go out to the shop later and measure it. It's about 20° F out there. Burrrrrrr.:eek:

Does yours have the big 12" wheel, Jim? If so, it is probably the 815. Digging on the web, about all I could find in Harvel was the 815. Bridgeport had one that size as well, and it looks like a clone except that the table traverse handle is on the left side of the carriage. I wonder if Harvel or Bridgeport or somebody else actually built both...

I went out to the shop and measured the wheel. The one that's on it currently is 9x1 inch, but the guard would allow a 12 inch wheel. It measures about 12 1/4 inside. I'm gonna say you are correct, it's an 815.

Back