New to Me: Index 845 Vertical Mill

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
i found a vintage Index 845 Vertical Mill on CL the other night. she was within 50 miles!!!
i went up and took a look at her and fell in love all over again.
I'd like to introduce you to Beatrice, my first mill purchase. She's a little bigger than the other girls. She's pushing somewhere in the range of 2,500 pounds maybe a scotch more .

Index845 1.JPG

i just got her home and have to do some rearrangement of the contents of the garage.
it's gonna be like putting 5 pounds of shinola in a 2 pound bag:lmao:

now for the fun part, i gotta move stuff to move in bigger stuff!!!
i'll have more pictures as the beast is moved!!
thanks for looking!!

Index845 1.JPG

Sweet older machine.

You won't get any vibration problems with Beatrice.:winner:

Nice find!

FYI - Wells-Index is still in business and they've been great helping me with my questions (and some parts) for my 860. Looks like they've finally updated their website a bit - http://www.wells-index.com/

-Ron

in my hunt, i found a piece of information. Index was bought out by Wells in 1971.
my machine was manufactured before 1971, it still bears the Index Serial Plate.
Beatrice's serial # is 13466 model 845
i have yet to find a table with the years of manufacture.
I have registered the serial number on Vintage Machinery dot com . But i'm finding there isn't a lot of info uploaded to the net on the old girl. i have run across a couple army training manuals which will be helpful, but they are mainly for other models.
i'll need to get the original or copy of.

Ok, ....wait for it..........YOU SUCK!.......but in a very cool way. Nice score.

Very nice!!!! You find some cool stuff!!!!!! :drool:

Chris

Ok, ....wait for it..........YOU SUCK!.......but in a very cool way. Nice score.
Thanks Chris and Greg!!
i'm a tool junkie through and through, i keep finding these old tools nobody loves anymore.
I hate to see a good tool or machine go to the boneyard.
But, i think my obsession with machinery has faded into hoarding.
My shop is a huge pile of disorganization right now.
it may take some hours just to reclaim space for tool boxes and
delicate stuff that has to bee kept protected from the elements.
I'm glad you like my treasures, some would call my finds junk.
a lot of times i find equipment inexpensively and usually broken in one way or another.
i guess that's how i get them cheap.
but, i have a serious problem, i just have a hard time saying NO to a deal....:nuts:
I got all the necessary equipment to do some serious GETTIN' ER DONE.
The less i have to have someone build/sell me the more money i keep.
if i have the tools there ain't much i can't do!!!!

Thanks Chris and Greg!!
i'm a tool junkie through and through, i keep finding these old tools nobody loves anymore.
I hate to see a good tool or machine go to the boneyard.
But, i think my obsession with machinery has faded into hoarding.
My shop is a huge pile of disorganization right now.
it may take some hours just to reclaim space for tool boxes and
delicate stuff that has to bee kept protected from the elements.
I'm glad you like my treasures, some would call my finds junk.
a lot of times i find equipment inexpensively and usually broken in one way or another.
i guess that's how i get them cheap.
but, i have a serious problem, i just have a hard time saying NO to a deal....:nuts:
I got all the necessary equipment to do some serious GETTIN' ER DONE.
The less i have to have someone build/sell me the more money i keep.
if i have the tools there ain't much i can't do!!!!

Hoarding huh??? Do you need to schedule and intervention???:thinking: For your health I will load up the truck and trailer and head out.:)) :lmao::rofl:
I need to take a class on finding stuff!!!!

Chris

Hoarding huh??? Do you need to schedule and intervention???:thinking: For your health I will load up the truck and trailer and head out.:)) :lmao::rofl:
I need to take a class on finding stuff!!!!

Chris

:rofl:
if i need an intervention, you'll be the first i call!!!
you don't really need a class,
do what i do... just spend 2-3 hours you should be sleeping, looking on craigslist and EBAY for junk!!!
you'll find it eventually!!!

Well guys she's in and running finally!!!!!!:phew:

attachment.php?attachmentid=55583&d=1371611795&thumb=1&stc=1.jpg

Index 845 6.JPGIndex 845 7.JPG
Index 845 8.JPG

i put a 5/8 dovetail cutter in and went to work on some 13mm 6160 square bar to see what i can cut and get a general idea of how the beast acts under a heavy cut.
Well let me tell you brother , machining aluminium is child's play for this machine.
feeding speeds are really smooth in all ranges i'm really getting to appreciate the level of engineering that went into the construction of this heavyweight. this is one heavy duty ol' girl .
she's got just a few battle scars,but, i don't think she was abused much.
i can still see original scraping from the factory on quite a few of the scraped surfaces which i thought was extremely pleasant. it's another sign of it's general condition as being good in by best estimations.

Thanks for reading feel free to post comments!

Index 845.JPG Index 845 2.JPG Index 845 4.JPG Index 845 5.JPG Index 845 6.JPG Index 845 7.JPG Index 845 8.JPG

attachment.php?attachmentid=55583&d=1371611795&thumb=1&stc=1.jpg

Back