New to Me: Index 845 Vertical Mill

Hi Mike

This is Ray, I was in the hand scraping class with you. Like your mill I saw something similar on CL in Fairfield today. I would love to pick up nice big mill like that, just do not have room now. And to much work at the office and at home. Are you going to put your new hand scraping skills to work on it?

Ray

Hi Ray, good to see you have joined us here on the forum!!
thanks for reading the thread, i hope you enjoy it!
I found this little beauty in Elk Grove.
i don't really have room for the beast either, but i have move some of the pile around to make the shop workable.
i can't really say how good the mini mills are, i have never used one.
I have heard they can be quite useful once you get them squared up and tightened up, you may wish to consider that route...
i have seen a few of the combo mills recently pretty cheap, i may add.
I haven't equipped myself for scraping as of yet, i have a line on a surface plate to pick up next week. i'm totally stoked!!!
i'm going to have to construct a table for the 3 x 4 plate, i'll detail that build in another thread to amuse the readers!
I'll probably finish scraping the compound rest for my south bend lathe before i move over to the mill.
i don't want to break the mill down until i have the lathe running. having both machines out of commission would be a real inconvenience, iv'e had to do a lot of work with my mini lathe and the old rockwell drill press to keep workin'.
i don't want to repeat if i can avoid it , the right tool save precious time!!
Thanks Ray for looking,
i sent a friend request, keep in touch
mike:))

i was envious when i saw the 845... now i am down right jealous that is is 30 taper. that is one stout mill.

nice find... you suck!

Mike
Congrats on the new mill. :thumbzup:
That should be all you need in a home shop, and be able to take heavy cuts as you say.
Looking at the pics, it appears to be in nice shape, and taken care of.

Nice Score :thumbsup:

i was envious when i saw the 845... now i am down right jealous that is is 30 taper. that is one stout mill.

nice find... you suck!

thanks for the compliment!
sometimes the sun shines on a dogs butt, i just got real lucky on this one.
iv'e been looking for a mill for years. i only got serious about finding one about 6 months or so ago.
the mill is a beast and fears no metal i'm sure of that. 2 hp on the spindle is plenty for any work i'll ever do .
one of the tool holders i have goes up to 1.250" id. the largest tool i have is a 2 fluted endmill that is 2" od and has a 1" shank.
i can only imagine how big the 1" shanked tools get.
thanks for reading!!

- - - Updated - - -

Mike
Congrats on the new mill. :thumbzup:
That should be all you need in a home shop, and be able to take heavy cuts as you say.
Looking at the pics, it appears to be in nice shape, and taken care of.

Nice Score :thumbsup:

Thanks Paul,
i'm very pleased with her. i can't wait to get some shop time in.
I've been running around the last few weeks and haven't got to do much fun stuff.
hopefully i'll get a short break after the 4th, but i'm not going to hold my breath!

thanks for looking!

I was looking for a copy of the operation/ parts manual for Beatrice and came across an Army Manual for the Index 747vs.
although it's a different model, a lot of the functions are the same. For anyone interested the manual can be downloaded or just viewed @

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...GKN8U1VVjJsR2-jxm3k7pyA&bvm=bv.48705608,d.cGE.

it's a from a site called Liberated Manuals. They specialize in Military Manuals of all sorts.
i have no affiliation with them, all manuals are free to download!
i hope the info helps someone!
mike:))

Congrats Mike on your WI-845 addition! I also have an 845... got it used locally some 4 yrs ago. I've got a Hitachi SJ-100 vfd driving mine and love the adjustability of it. Mine is also an NMTB-30 spindle and has had X & Y converted to ballscrews sometime in the past. Someone also converted the X axis drive over to a BP drive. After searching for a while, I just spent the money with Rick Robison over at Wells-Index for the manual as well as a replacement missing Z-axis crank handle. Some good folks over there.

Jeff Pfeifer
Boise, ID

Thanks for the reply and thanks for reading.
these 845's are some serious machinery, i hope you enjoy yours like i do mine!!:))
mike

I have had a few 845's over the years and the main mill in my shop now is an 845. Its 2700 lbs with that gearbox power feed and it makes a bridgeport look like a barbie doll. You have a hell of a machine. If some one has not had the spindle reground to R-8 do yourself a favor and send the spindle to Index and have it done. Its well worth the $250 for the time and money you will save in tooling! Not to mention your bearings willtake less of a pounding from trying to knock the tooling out of the spindle. The B&S #9 really locks in tight and you have to donkey punch the drawbar to get the tooling out.

Back