New To Me Jet 10x24 Compound

Erevojoe

Registered
Registered
can someone who owns one of these lathes please take a pic of the top compound slide (or rest. I'm a newbie) I just bought one of these lathes and it is missing this piece. I'm trying to find a part number of match it to something that I can still get parts for. I knew this was going to hard to find but this lathe was cheap and it has prblaby $1000 worth of extras with it so I'm not too worried about losing money if I can't get it working. This is the old model From the 70s-80s, that weights about twice what the 9x20 does. I can't pick it up for a few days and I wasn't able to get a decent pic of it so it can't show it to anyone. But it's the same as this guys

http://www.yuriystoys.com/2013/01/my-new-30-year-old-jet-1024-lathe.html

Mine is a Federal, but the similar to the Jet. Here are some picture of the compound. I have many pictures or can take more of what whatever angle you or close up you want. I just finished putting the lathe together. It was motorless and chuckless when I got it. It now has a VFD, thanks to MKSJ, one of our own for his early Christmas gift to me, the control system for the VFD. Another member, TOAG, made me a deal on that plain back Pratt and Buernard 4J that I mated to a well used eBay special back plate

DSC_3879.JPG DSC_3881.JPG DSC_3882.JPG DSC_3883.JPG DSC_3888.JPG DSC_3889.JPG

Last edited:
Thank you, ive got the gib and the threaded rod, only thing missing is the plate and the nut. It's got an expensive qctp set with it and I'm hoping it's the right one. Ill probably have to ask u for a few measurements once I've got it home and in can better look it over.

When I tried to install the QCTP, a Phase II, the center studs do not match, the compound on mine does not have a slot, just the stud that is screwed on to the compound, had to machine a new stud. The stud on the left is the original one and the on the right is what came with the PhaseII.

DSC_3602.JPG DSC_3640.JPG

I think the guy that owned it was trying something cause there are several slides that look just like the stock one, but the Main slot is too large, at first I thought just the gib wasn't there, but the guy showed me the gib and it was still too large. I'm buying it from the guy that inherited it from the guy that owned it. So he new him but doesn't know what the heck he was doing or where the original slide is. I really want to get it running, but like I said, there is twice as much money worth of tooling and caribe bits as I paid for it. So worst case, I piece it out and buy a 10x22
I could replace full compound if I had to, right?

Last edited:
You may have a hard time finding a compound for that guy. If you decide to part it out, I am interested in the 3 jaw chuck or the back plate if there is one separately.

Sorry to go off topic here, but, Bamban, in your pics, why is that bolt screwed into the side of the QCTP ? Thanks, JR49

Sometimes I use it to rest the tip on a 2 inch indicator just to push the indicator a little bit out of the way.

Since I'm new to machine modification, I may sound really stupid asking this, but... Doesn't the whole compound punt to the slide with two bolts? I was hoping the bolt pattern of the two bolts as common to this size lathe. But, I will probably try making a new top slide that works with the supplied tool post before going that route. It's a flat price of steel with a large slot under it and another for the tool post on the top, right? Even if it costs me $200 bucks for the metal, I'll still only have $709 on the lathe

I've been consumed by this so I drove back to the guys house and got a few pics. I was also concerned he was going to swap out some tools. Here are the pics
89cfaa19bfbf786cd856bc59d3a450d4_zps6a0rdclj.jpg

d49c247a99779193255c59172f8d7885_zpsqbmgaaiw.jpg

Back