New To Me, Jet 1336pbd - With Some "issues"

Thats the exact lathe I have in my shop. Mine is a 1989. It will be interesting to see what parts will work in this lathe. I have the original manual for it also.
I'll try to do a better job of documenting my progress then.

Steve Shannon, P.E.

That bushing should be able to go either way, the only thing that holds it is a set screw. It may have a slight burr or mushroom on the side where the gear rubs it.
That makes sense to me. Thanks, again.

Steve Shannon, P.E.

The pinion, on the right, is about 7/8 inch thick. The gear on the left is 3/4 in. thick.
Let me know when I start to irritate you. :)
Does yours have a zerk?
Also, can you slide the back gears left and right? I don't see a set screw and mine definitely slide, about 1/8 inch or so.
The problem with mine is this broken tooth:

Thank you very much!12917a40abcb7d8fbf5d2db37b2b03dd.jpg

Steve Shannon, P.E.

The gears measure the same on mine. I will get dimensions Monday on the Jet at work.
Pierre

What brand/model is your clone? Is the back gears part the same Module Pitch 2, with 22 and 52 teeth?
Having more part availability would be good. With enough information I might be able to put a spreadsheet together showing which models share which parts.
Thanks!

Steve Shannon, P.E.

Last edited:
Mine is a Jet BDB 1340 that was purchased new in 2000. The only difference I see is that mine has a longer bed and is a different color. I would assume that since the swing is the same, the headstock would be the same. My manual shows that the gear has 52T/22T, and the part #04109A.

The shaft and back gears came out easily today. On the 22 tooth end the bronze bushing is obviously worn or machined off center. bf3a2043f247c9ef405d1ca03d7307d9.jpg
71c24c37d5e0fee658782718d1f20541.jpg
The headstock casting looks like it's in good condition, so far.
d80712d916edf3263dbb3300ce7b4d79.jpg

Steve Shannon, P.E.

Mine is a Jet BDB 1340 that was purchased new in 2000. The only difference I see is that mine has a longer bed and is a different color. I would assume that since the swing is the same, the headstock would be the same. My manual shows that the gear has 52T/22T, and the part #04109A.
If this project works out okay, I'll see about painting mine.
Two weeks ago I didn't think mine could be salvaged. Now I'm optimistic.
The bore in the back gears is just over 13/16". The helical angle looks like it's about 15 degrees, but I don't have a good way to measure it.
What would those of you who have rebuilt machines do next to rebuild the back gears? I'm going to be too busy to do anything until late January, but apparently I like obsessing over things like this.

Steve Shannon, P.E.

I had a Logan lathe that had several teeth knocked out of the bull gear. A replacement gear was available, but it was $500. I pre-heated the gear, MIG welded the area where the teeth were missing, and then slowly cooled the part in front of a quartz heater (the kind used to cure powder coat, 450+ degrees) over a period of several hours. No cracks! Then I used a high speed cutoff tool to cut slots where the teeth should be, and hand filed tooth profiles back into it. It worked like a charm, and the machine is still working fine to this day. Just fuel for those times when folks say "it can't be done". It can!

It looks like you are making excellent progress. Great work!

GG

Thanks, GG,
I'm supposed to be finishing the shop though, not succumbing to the allure of a wounded machine.

Steve Shannon, P.E.

Yep, first things first. Having a new shop with lots of space to work will make the lathe project easier later on. I would jump through some pretty crazy hoops to get a new shop, but it's not gonna happen. The garage is what it is :grin:

GG

Back