New (to me) lathe and mill, now what are some good projects that will help me learn?

STEMtheMachining

Registered
Registered
Hi there,

For the first time in almost 3 decades, I'm able to start making chips again. But I barely know the first thing about what I'm doing.

I have a foundational knowledge of metalworking, I apprenticed in a machine shop for 2 summers in high school that did mostly aeronautics parts. Some CNC, mostly manual machining. But that was 25+ years ago, and I spent an entire career in the Marines, retired medically, and got a couple of degrees in chemistry now, so that knowledge is shaky, at best.

Fast forward to now: I picked up a used (but pristine, the previous owner was a machinist) Emco Unimat SL from a pawn shop for a good deal I think. Came with some HSS cutters, a tool post, milling head, 3 jaw chuck, some extra belts, and the box.

I don't plan on turning anything big, this is purely a hobby, and I'm not planning on chasing zeroes.

So my question is really a 2 parter, I guess.

1) What else do I need with it to get started, and does anyone know what MT it uses? (I know it uses M12x1 threads)

My current list for parts incl:

centers (live & dead)
runout bar
4 jaw chuck
collets and collet chuck
end mills, spot drills, center drills
milling table
machinist vice

That should get me started, I think.

2) What are some good projects that I can do as a beginner that will provide me both with a tangible item and knowledge regarding practices? In the shop I worked in, the first thing we were taught to make were tapping blocks, so I'll probably start there.

Any other suggestions?

As an aside, are the Hemingway style kits good for beginners, or should I hold off a bit until I get some time under my belt?

Oh, and a 3rd q: Since I don't live near any machine shops (coastal NC), what's the best way to get a hold of stock, being I can only turn 6 inch between centers? I'm probably leaning towards 360 brass, 6061 aluminum, 12L14 and 304 steel bars and blocks.

The only stores I have nearby are orange and blue hardware, and they don't sell anything larger than a half inch round.

Any retailers other than Amazon that don't penalize for small orders?

Thanks for the help in advance guys and girls, it's appreciated.

UPDATE:

Everyone, thanks so far for the amazing answers.

But I should've mentioned that when it comes to tools, I have the basics, mostly Starrett and B&S, with a bit of mitotoyu and Lufkin for good measure.

And some HF stuff as beater tools.

Pawn shops are great places to find tools outside of your usual price range if you're looking, as is eBay if you know how to clean and oil them properly. (One of my jobs in the machine shop, but Starrett oil has drastically increased in price since then, LOL)

Inside mics, calipers, dial indicators, travel indicators, wigglers, and other basic machinist tools, I have.

Thought I'd just address this to save everyone writing it over and over.

I do still need some parallels, 3-2-1 blocks, and a clamping kit, but being I'm working on a micro mill, I'm holding off until I learn more.

Last edited:
First of all, welcome.
For buying materials, HobbyMetalKits, https://hobbymetalkits.com/, stock a lot of smaller stuff in 12” lengths. For bigger stuff, onlinemetals.com has a vast stock, they recently cut shipping cost to $9 for lengths under 36” and under (I think) 50lbs. They also sell protoboxes: you get 5lbs, or 10lbs of off cuts of the metal (not necessarily the shape or alloy) of your choice, about 12” long for a very good price. Great way to get practice material. You can also keep an eye on the For Sale section here, often good stuff going cheap.

I would stick with 6061 aluminum and 12L14 or 1018 steel to start. Both are relatively cheap and easy to machine. Brass will give you sticker shock. I use www.onlinemetals.com and Midwest Steel Supply. Onlinemetals is quick and has decent prices. Midwest is cheaper but you'll have to wait weeks to get it. I ordered 7075 aluminum plate in mid-November and I'm still waiting for it.

There are two YouTube contributors who have kept a significant emphasis on teaching, and what stuff you need. Quinn Dunki (Blondihacks) and This Old Tony. There are others, and you can always find complete explanations for just about any aspect of machining.

Getting Started In Machining - Absolute Beginners Click Here!

South Bend published a book in the early 1930's called South Bend Machine Shop Course. It contains many simple projects that can be fun to do and allow the maker to learn along the way. It's available on the web in .pdf form.

As a newbie also, I’ve learned a lot from blondihacks. She has very clear and concise videos.

Ebay can be a great source for material, small sizes that fit in a usps flat rate box often ship free. Just one of the things I learned from blondihacks.

Back