New To Me Lathe, Need Some Gears

Jester966

Registered
Registered
I am now the happy owner of this 10" Logan. The previous owner did an awesome job of cleaning it up and painting it and it is it pretty good condition, with the exception of two broken teeth on the bull gear which I did not notice until I got it home (still happy about the purchase though, I feel $460 was quite reasonable). I haven't found any serial number yet, all I know is it is (apparently) a 1946 machine.

Unfortunately it did not include any change gears. E-bay seems pretty expensive, at those prices plus shipping I could probably order new steel Boston gears locally. Anyone happen to have any spares they would be willing to sell me for a decent price?

Another thought - I have an excess of Atlas gears... I doubt it, but I'm wondering if they could be modified to work (though I would prefer better quality). Not sure if the DP/pressure angles would match, I just got home and have not yet had any time to investigate.

Any help would be much appreciated, I can't wait to get this up and running so I can sell off the Atlas. I had not seen a Logan in person until today, but am very pleased with how much beefier this is.

$_27 (4).JPG $_27 (1).JPG $_27 (2).JPG $_27 (3).JPG $_27 (5).JPG

Last edited:
Anyone happen to have any spars they would be willing to sell me for a decent price?

Congratulations on your new lathe!

I've got a quick-change gearbox on mine, so I've no real use for my change gears. I've got a full set just collecting dust. PM me and we can discuss.
--
Rex

I like my 10" Powermatic (Logan) number is stamped on the bed near the tailstock.
Go with Rex' offer.
If you end up short, I know where there was a box of change gears. They aren't mine and they might still be there.
Likely they might sell individuals gears.
Or just save up for a quick change....

Daryl
MN

Thanks guys for the quick responses. Rex, very interested - I sent you a pm. I was looking into the feasibility of retrofitting a QCGB last night, however could only find one on e-bay and he won't ship to Canada. Does the lead screw need to be replaced or modifed when fitting a gearbox?

I'll be happy with change gears for now though, but maybe investigate the quick change again in the future.

Almost forgot, I will also need a new bull gear if anyone happens to have one.

Another question - has anyone converted one of these to an underdrive? I'm more thinking a custom cabinet with VFD, not necessarily a Logan cabinet... one day...

I like my 10" Powermatic (Logan) number is stamped on the bed near the tailstock.

I was looking for an id plate. I will have another look tomorrow, right now it's still in pieces in the back of my car and it's dark out.

Pretty sure you need a different lead screw for the QCGB. Logan Actuator will sell you a manual (and parts) for your lathe, including a new bull gear. If you've got access to the necessary equipment (mill, rotary table, brazing equipment) you might want to fixing the broken teeth yourself.

Heck, with enough patience you might be able to get by just silver soldering some pieces of brass to replace what's missing and go at it with a Dremel tool to shape the new teeth. Should work better than completely missing teeth, anyway.

Regards,
--
Rex

$480 with the legs and the apron/pan? - that was a steal! (IMO)

Yes to all your questions. Nice little machine and good price, congrats!

Logan has a guide for converting to a QC gearbox, search the Logan group at yahoo or Logan actuator. The auto apron gives you a clutch to minimize effects of crashes, and takes power feed off of the lead screw.

My advice? Get it together and running properly, then start thinking about lead screws and QC gearboxes. I mean, it's still disassembled in your car............

Last edited:
Back