New to me Lathe questions

I definitely understand the whole lotta cleaning to do part. Both the mill and lathe are filthy. So the stud will drop out after I pull the compound and I can replace it with a Shars or whomever's quick change post for my correct swing dia.

Next order if business is to find a decent 3 jaw chuck for it. All it came with is big 4 jaws.

It depends on what you turn in your lathe. If it's just shafts, a 3 jaw could suffice I guess. For my purposes though,
I turn shafts and also many other shapes. I have several 3 jaw chucks and they sit unused. You can turn eccentrics,
flat plates, odd shapes, and large parts. Also, with a dial indicator shafts can be chucked up with extreme accuracy.
I like the versatility of a 4 jaw and it can turn shafts too. It all boils down to what kind of work you are doing.

I'm with Cathead on this, I rarely-to-never use the 3-jaw, but have a selection of 4-jaws from 3" to 10", faceplates and collets. Most of what I do at some point involves picking up on a machined diameter and turning other diameters concentric with it, even a decent (Pratt Burnerd or whatever) 3-jaw has run-out, and run-out that varies with work diameter and clamping force, a 4-jaw can be as accurate as you and your DTI can make it, known good shafting can go in a collet and be within a tenth or two, with a wiggler / pump-centre in an accurate punch mark work on a faceplate can be as accurate as you can be bothered to make it.

If I was turning out multiples (tens/hundreds) and could finish a part in one chucking, no problem with a 3-jaw as all the resulting surfaces would be concentric, but once it's out of / moved in the jaws it will NEVER go back exactly where it was...

Of course, if you need to take the part out to try it and need it to go back concentric, there's no substitute for between-centres turning (says he, giving the game away about old-schoolness...)

Dave H. (the other one)

Also, I forgot to mention that a four jaw chuck can double as a faceplate if you remove the jaws, very handy. At least the one I have will do that.

If I may suggest look at a six jaw chuck if you want a multi purpose one. If you think about it it's three chucks in one. Two , three, six. And if you get two piece jaws it's almost the perfect option.

I'm with Cathead on this, I rarely-to-never use the 3-jaw, but have a selection of 4-jaws from 3" to 10", faceplates and collets. Most of what I do at some point involves picking up on a machined diameter and turning other diameters concentric with it, even a decent (Pratt Burnerd or whatever) 3-jaw has run-out, and run-out that varies with work diameter and clamping force, a 4-jaw can be as accurate as you and your DTI can make it, known good shafting can go in a collet and be within a tenth or two, with a wiggler / pump-centre in an accurate punch mark work on a faceplate can be as accurate as you can be bothered to make it.

If I was turning out multiples (tens/hundreds) and could finish a part in one chucking, no problem with a 3-jaw as all the resulting surfaces would be concentric, but once it's out of / moved in the jaws it will NEVER go back exactly where it was...

Of course, if you need to take the part out to try it and need it to go back concentric, there's no substitute for between-centres turning (says he, giving the game away about old-schoolness...)

Dave H. (the other one)

A 3 jaw adjustable Buck Chuck solves all your 3 jaw run out problems in 1/2 the time of indicating a part in a 4 jaw.

A 3 jaw adjustable Buck Chuck solves all your 3 jaw run out problems in 1/2 the time of indicating a part in a 4 jaw.

I doubt that - unless the adjust-tru has a miracle scroll that keeps the jaws on the same centre whatever the part diameter? Adjusting it in the backplate for absolute accuracy has to take almost as long as or longer than the 20 - 30 seconds to adjust a 4-jaw to less than a thou"?

Dave H. (the other one)

I doubt that - unless the adjust-tru has a miracle scroll that keeps the jaws on the same centre whatever the part diameter? Adjusting it in the backplate for absolute accuracy has to take almost as long as or longer than the 20 - 30 seconds to adjust a 4-jaw to less than a thou"?

Dave H. (the other one)

Well, we all have our opinions. When I was working on eyelet tools Buck's were all that was in the shop. I made thousands of punches and dies that had different diameters and the run out was minimal. On long parts you tap one end in and buck it up to within tenths. The same way it's done in a 4 jaw without having to adjust each jaw independently. Not only were the lathes equipped with Buck Chucks, but the cylindrical grinders (Myfords I may add) had them also. I guess it's all in the knowing how to do it.

I havnt much time as of late [like the last year] to work on this. Ive finally gotten the chance to mess w it and all looks good beside the lever that allows power feed left or right isnt connected for some reason. Its in feed left now so no big deal.

The other issue is on the speeds and feeds gear box the pull handle is jammed and i dont want to get crazy with it trying to get it apart as i dont want to break it. Anybody have a name for this style handle/plunger?

After i get this moving its time for a vfd and tooling.

20180930_150407.jpg

20180930_150322.jpg

Well I decided to stop being a panzy and put a visegrip on the handle and smacked it a few time with a 3lb hammer. Fixed it! Now on to order a vfd and breaking resistor.

Plan too wire the current forward and reverse lever into the vfd

I have also purchased a very used nishimori lathe that looks to be the same model as you have. The main problem with mine is the lead screw is missing and has been replaced with a chain. I can find no information on the lathe online. I would like to put a new lead screw back in but have no place to start. I am hoping you could send me some pics of yours and maybe some measurements so I can Fab up the replacement parts I need. Thanks.

IMG_20181203_104804929.jpg

Back