New to me logan 400

A little update with my progress so far. I have been practicing sharpening tooling. I ran a few cuts to get the feel of the machine and see how the tools cut. I have also bought a few tools along the way. I just got my qctp today. Next is to make something to a pre determined size.
KIMG1462.jpg
KIMG1461.jpgKIMG1459.jpg

I received my 6" 4 jaw independant chuck today and started making a mount for a milling attachment I had bought a few months ago. Not a difficult task for you machinists but a challenge for me. I am learning to grind tools as I go along but having fun.
20180811_180048.jpg

The drawback to a Logan 400 is the lack of quick change gear box, but IF you have all the change gears a quick change gear box isn’t totally necessary, just more convenient!

The lack of power feed is another thing. With a power feed you get a better looking finish. To add power feed all you need to do is find the apron from a comparable lathe and they are usually available on EBay.

The quick change gear box is usually available on eBay also.

I have that same lathe, except mine has the QCGB and power feed, mine is also mounted on a factory cabinet with the under mount motor. My lathe was made in 1945 and it still makes nice parts. I use it just about daily!

Learn how to run it properly and it should serve you well!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rockingj, I may do some upgrades one day but for my occasional use I'm ok with it. I do have all the change gears and I do like the idea of a power feed. (maybe some day) thanks for the advice. I have purchased several books to learn proper operation. I have also been reading a lot on this forum and watching tubalcain videos.

Logan Actuator has a lot of the parts available still, their prices aren’t cheap, but at least they can be found new if you want to pay. The only parts I had to replace I got off eBay or made myself.

Back