New (to me) Logan 821

CluelessNewB - my 821 is #49116, so it looks like I have no oilers. Although given the position of the oilers it looks like they are really for the bearings, not necessarily all the gears

I use Mobile Vactra 2 Way Oil on the gears, it's a bit more sticky than the light Mobile Velocite #10 Spindle Oil I use for the bearings. Some people use open gear lube for the gears. The previous owner of my lathe used some type of heavy grease on the gears but that seemed to attract and hold too much swarf.

I have Vactra 2 - thanks for the advice!

I raised my SB9 on 4x4s years ago. Headstock spindle center is 45” from floor. Much easier on the back. BTW I am 5’9.5” tall.
I suspect you will not need the cross 4x4 on the bottom, mine has not needed it in 20 or so yrs, I suspect our machines weigh about the same. Or the x4 shelf support as you will want to sweep under lathe or put misc steel there.
Have fun with your new lathe.

Thanks for that Manual Mac! I am 5'11" and could tell that it was going to be too low. I always overbuild things (thanks to my wife for that) so put in the cross brace. Thinking of storing extra chucks and other items on the shelf. Still haven't broached with the boss where the steel/aluminum/etc. will go!

Dlinva, I like your adjustable feet recessed into the 4x4 idea. I think I might do that to mine.
And I am actually 5’8.5 tall. Typo.
And 45” spindle center works for me.
Cheers, Steve

From The Manual:

View attachment 336275View attachment 336276View attachment 336277
Also check out the FAQ which has recommendations for types and brands:

http://www.lathe.com/faq/index.html#_Toc95180285
So in reference to #8 above, should the two apron halves have some kind of sealant between them when I put the halves back together in order to keep oil in the bottom of the apron? Or will the machined surfaces of the two halves be enough of a seal for oil trying to leak out?

I did not use any sealant, it leaks a bunch. Someday... maybe I will take it apart and use some of that blue gasket maker. For now it has a sheet pan to contain the mess.

They were factory assembled without sealant. Neither of the two 820's I've owned have leaked. I've seen this question batted around for years. YMMV, some do, some don't.

Just got the headstock (mostly) apart, still working on the back gear shaft. Thinking about using a Fenner PowerTwist (https://www.fennerdrives.com/powertwist-drive/) for the drive belt. Can anyone help me with the many versions of these belts. Which one should I be looking at? I am guessing they are different profiles but since I would be using one of these in place of the standard flat belt I am not clear on what to use. Any help would be appreciated.

Back