New To Me Mckenzie Lathe

You can never go wrong with way oil. I use 68 weight Shell 'Tonna' It is sticky enough to never leave the gears completely dry...

So no grease on gears! Lol I don't think the ways need attentions but I was thinking about giving it a quick stoning or something just to knock off the high spots and clean it up a bit any suggestions?

IF you have a very flat arkansas stone, spray it with wd40, and give the ways a LIGHT stoning - no more than the weight of an egg on the stone if it is a 2X6; MUCH lighter for a smaller stone! You can easily wreck the ways with a stone if your not careful...

You can use varsol on the stone if you immediately oil the ways afterward.

The banjo gears in the headstock can be greased with moly grease but you have to make sure the bushings they run on are oiled... that's where the wear will show.

If your change gears are greased it prevents oil from getting to the shaft and bushings, which will result in scoring, eventually. I just noticed you don't have a quick change dear box for threading; If you had change gears, they must be oiled....

p.s. you can never oil too much!

Last edited:
Well then... I already wanted to tear into the head stock but you just kinda gave me more reason to do so! All the change gears are completely covered in grease! Not my doing but after cleaning I'll be sure to use the proper lubricant! :)

Before you do, let me send you a PM, please.

Izzy,

The gib that I have here is for use on the left side of the cross slide. Yours mounts on the right hand side of the compound. It's totally laid out opposite of your gib. There's no way to change it to work on your cross slide. Sorry, I tried.

The crack in the gib you have there, is aggravating but shouldn't hurt anything. I would run it like it is until you have the proper machine tools to use to make another one. It'll be ok like it is for now.

Ken

Aahh! It is too I totally wasn't paying attention to that! But OK sounds good to me. I'll just make due with it untill I can replace it. My next task is repairing a gear in the apron... It's missing a couple teeth IMG_20161225_145400.jpg

Last edited:
Back