New To Me Mckenzie Lathe

What exactly is that back gear used for?

It allows you to slow the spindle down considerably.

Slow spindle speed is great for turning large diameters and also when cutting threads (of any diameter), because there it's usually only your reaction time in dis-engaging the feed that stops the tool from hitting a shoulder or the chuck/faceplate/dog etc.

-brino

Aaahhhhh gotcha, I had a feeling it did something along those lines just because of how hard it is to turn but that could be because it's locked like you mentioned before. I'll hopefully have this thing up and running by Christmas! :D

Since you have a 8TPI lead screw like 1000's of other lathes, many vendors offer a thread chasing dial for their lathes as an accessory or replacement part very cheaply. Busy Bee used to... You can always make a nicer one later, but for $30.00 or so, it is faster and gets you going.

I have a busy bee location pretty close to me I'll have to stop by and see if they have something like that! That would be a quick fix. I wouldn't mind getting a metric thread dial aswell as I know I'll be doing alot of metric threading!

You won't find a metric thread dial. The dial is to align with a particular position on your (imperial) lead screw. To do metric threading you align to a particular division and use it til the thread is done. Most people don't disengage the half nut until the thread is complete when threading a metric thread with an imperial lead screw. There is a way to disengage and realign, but don't try it til you are experienced in threading.

I deffinetly need to learn how metric threading is done with an imperial lead screw as that's mostly what I'll be doing. I read about the metric thread dial over on the home shopmachinist. This is the thread I'm reffering too http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/45876-Why-doesn-t-a-thread-dial-work-with-metric someone mentions the use of a metric thread dial the link they have for it says it should work on a 4tpi lead screw should work the same on an 8tpi correct? Just twice as fast?

Wow - a geared threading indicator... I've always thought it was possible, but never seen one before. It is matched to those lathes and their gear boxes. The pinion gear has to fit the thread pitch on the lead screw. If it doesn't, then when the gear tries to turn on the wrong lead screw pitch it will bind and jam.

Realistically you can do the work well by keeping the half nut engaged. A friend of mine cuts dozens of metric threads per month on his 8TPI lead screw. He is almost as fast as cutting imperial ones. It just takes practice.

Oh Izzy - have a look for 'oxtoolco' on youtube - He build an extra large steady rest. When you need a steady rest one day it could be a great project!

I'll absolutely need a steady rest seeing as the original one for this lathe broke during transport :( ugghhh still upset about that it was a really nice sready and original to the machine :(

So since I've decided to pretty much rebuild the thing is there anything I should know when re-assemblying everything? What type of lubricant should I use on the gears in the apron? And what about the lead screw?

Back