New-to-me project Rockwell Horizontal Mill

Making progress!

More parts and progress for the Rockwell horizontal milling machine. Bought an M series Bridgeport head with round column adapter to fit onto the horizontal mill. This will give me options to do either horizontal or vertical milling. Found a replacement knee crank handle, and got the cracked cast iron overarm support welded and reinforced. New bearings for the horizontal motor and the crank handles have arrived, as well as new start capacitor.

M head will be checked out, cleaned and painted. Will need to make a reducing bushing from the 3.5" of the round column adapter to the 3-1/8" overarm on the mill. The M head has a 1/2HP single phase motor. I have a few VFDs and would love to find a 3 phase motor so I can do variable speed. Otherwise for now the single phase motor will be checked out, new bearings if needed, etc.

Next will be doing some concrete prep for the mill. Have a 26" square 3/8" steel plate which will be mounted with threaded rod into concrete for leveling, then grouted underneath.

KIMG1135 (Small).JPGKIMG1138 (Small).JPGKIMG1141~2 (Small).JPG

Back