New to me RF-45 help

I just looked at my mill. I have three large bolts, not two. (Obviously have not trammed my mill in a while. :rolleyes:) I have a bolt located on each side and one on the bottom of the circular mounting plate. It does not have the smaller bolt you circled. If I had to guess, I would guess that the smaller bolt you have is a binding bolt. Does not seem that useful to me.
Yepp and I think that's what's giving me so much trouble trying to rotate the head since it snapped off. Trying to drill it out right now....hoping not to do to much damage to anything else...

I would take the head off instead of drilling out that little bolt- it may be hardened and could be unscrewed from the back
Those heads are heavy of course, you would need a hoist or a couple strong friends
-Mark

You can see in this photo the same "pin" that you wondering about on my RF-45 that I got about a month ago.

After fighting that darn thing repeatedly while trying to tram my mill I decided that I needed to figure out what it was. Because it was very much in the way of getting a box end wrench on the nut.

I ended up pulling it straight out with little effort. It seems to be nothing more than a registration pin for a "close to" zero point for head tilt. Pretty much useless I think.

I yanked it out and put it in a drawer should I ever find that my conclusion was grossly in error (not that that has never happened!).

Attachments

• IMG_9540.jpeg
    IMG_9540.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 25
I would take the head off instead of drilling out that little bolt- it may be hardened and could be unscrewed from the back
Those heads are heavy of course, you would need a hoist or a couple strong friends
-Mark
It's not screwed in, just pressed in. It can be pulled straight out if you can get enough "grip".

Interesting. Mine doesn't have one of those. Must be bondo'ed over.

Here's what that part looks like when it's in one piece out of the machine.

I've got two nuts on it so I had something to grab onto to pull it without tearing up the threads.

Attachments

• IMG_9694.jpg
    IMG_9694.jpg
    383.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I have a manual for the RF45. I could scan it and upload it.

I have a manual for the RF45. I could scan it and upload it.
Yes!! That would be awesome!! And I just want to say a huge thanks to everyone who has commented on this thread, it has all been very helpful!! I greatly appreciate it guys.

Here’s the PDF.

Attachments

• rf-45 manual.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
Back