New-to-me Rivett Model No. 4/504 precison bench lathe

cazclocker

Purveyor of cheese.
Registered
Last June I bought a lathe on eBay - a nice-looking Rivett model 4 which had been rebuilt by Rivett in 1935. Apparently when Rivett was done with the rebuild they considered the lathe to be no longer a Model No. 4, but a Model No. 504 which was simply a model 4 with some minor changes. The ebay seller was in Canada and I'm in Arizona, so the seller contacted me privately and told me that his best friend vacations in Arizona every winter, and has volunteered to bring the lathe down with him. All I had to do would be to meet him at some pre-arranged meeting point and pick it up from him. But I would have to wait for November because that's his vacation schedule. Well I got it, the transaction went great, I couldn't be happier, it came with a boatload of accessories (including dozens of 4OS collets)...so here it is:
IMG_2578.JPG

It came with a collet closer, a stepped flat pulley from an authentic Rivett countershaft, a 4-jaw Burnerd chuck, a 3-jaw Cushman chuck, and a bunch of other stuff. Here ya go:
IMG_2568.JPG

Here's a set of four stepped wheel collets:
IMG_2569.JPG

And a milling attachment:
IMG_2299.JPG IMG_2341.JPG

There's considerably more, but I'll post later.
...Doug in Arizona

IMG_2578.JPG IMG_2568.JPG IMG_2569.JPG IMG_2299.JPG IMG_2341.JPG

Here are some photos from a few days ago. I've mounted the Rivett-patented collet closer and placed an oil/chip pan underneath. The lathe is still unbolted to the bench, same thing with the headstock. I've ordered a motor (a bit overpowered, 1.5 hp, but oh well) and parts to build a countershaft. So far the only parts that have arrived are the pillow block bearings to carry the countershaft. So you can see I still have a ways to go. By the way I got the oil/chip pan from a local restaurant supply place. It's stainless steel and they let me have it for $35! :))

IMG_2603.JPGIMG_2605.JPGIMG_2606.JPGIMG_2608.JPGIMG_2611.JPGIMG_2613.JPGIMG_2615.JPGIMG_2618.JPG

IMG_2603.JPG IMG_2605.JPG IMG_2606.JPG IMG_2608.JPG IMG_2611.JPG IMG_2613.JPG IMG_2615.JPG IMG_2618.JPG

Because of some family health concerns I haven't posted here for quite a while, nor have I made much progress. A couple of days ago I FINALLY bolted down the oil/chip pan to the benchtop, and also bolted the lathe down. Up to now, the lathe had simply been sitting, held in place by gravity! I am now building a countershaft. I roughly designed it on a scrap of paper and refining it as I go. I'm using parts from 80-20 Inc. to make the countershaft mounting bracket. Pictures coming!

PS....I really like the new software for our forum! It addressed my main issue with the old software - the photos took up too much real estate on everybody's posts. Now, they are small and stay small, until you click on them. Good job!
...Doug in Arizona

Hi Dough,
Your lathe look so nice and clean. Do you still have it?
I bought myself a 505. Not receive it yet but I hope to learn something from your set up.
Would you please show some more pics of the bench?
Thanks

Hi Dough,
Your lathe look so nice and clean. Do you still have it?
I bought myself a 505. Not receive it yet but I hope to learn something from your set up.
Would you please show some more pics of the bench?
Thanks
Hello Tienle. No, I sold my 504 two years ago. I never ran it much and I bought it from a Canadian fellow who used it but kept it in immaculate shape. I still have lots of pictures of it, though, and I'll be happy to share the pictures of the bench with you.
Do you want to see details of my bench?
...Doug

Yes. Please show
more pics of the bench. I don’t really know how to built a small bench that can support such weight safely. The complete lathe will be around 200-250 lbs. Thanks

Yes. Please show
more pics of the bench. I don’t really know how to built a small bench that can support such weight safely. The complete lathe will be around 200-250 lbs. Thanks
Good morning Tienle. I'll try to get pictures to you in the next couple of days. I didn't build my bench myself; I had a friend make it for me. But I took plenty of closeup photos that are good enough to give you an idea of how to put one together for yourself.
I'll get back to you when I'm able... probably tomorrow.

Doug, my dividing head came with 2 chucks, a 6" 4 jaw and a 5" 3 jaw. Both are plain back. On one side of the front face they are both stamped to say:

The D. E. Whiton Machine Co.
New London, Conn USA

Below that is stamped on both chucks in capitol letters:

MADE IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Across the chuck faces they are also stamped with RIVETT, surrounded by a rectangular box.

They also have quite a few stamps on them of double capitol letters, on the front, back, and the jaws. Possibly initials of people doing quality control.

I don't know if your lathe would even fit those chucks, but they are kind of cool...

Sorry, cannot seem to get photos from my phone to H-M right now...

Back