New To Me Rockwell 14x30

Fltenwheeler

Registered
Registered
I just finished moving the Jet 10x24 lathe I have had since 1983, I am sad to see it go. I used it to build an Allen 10-Wheeler and many other parts. It was a little easier know it was just going to my son's house.

The Beast as I call it, is a Rockwell 14x30 lathe that will just barely fit into the lathe spot. I have already run 220, along with mounting the box for the VFD. The lathe is only coming with a 6" 3 jaw chuck so I purchased a Bison 10" 4 jaw and a 8" 3 jaw. I keep my Bison 5C collet chuck and will install a L00 back plate. The lathe will be at my shop the morning of the 27th so now I need to start cleaning. I will let you know how it goes.

Tim

Rockwell 14.jpg

Very nice lathe! Can you post the serial number when you get a chance? Join the Yahoo group under Rockwell Lathes, there is a wealth of information on that site. I have one similar to yours but with 40" center distance. It's in storage right now, can't wait to get it set up and running.

Hi

I just unloaded the lathe off of the truck and moved it into the shop.

The data tag is missing, is the serial number stamped on the lathe some were?

I am in need of the following items.

The Gates part number for the 49-129 belt set.
What are the shear pins made of?

Before I go to the trouble of making the following parts, I would like to see if I can find them.

I need 1 thumb screw for locking the dials.
I also need the bolt and plate for the carriage lock.

Thanks

Tim

Hi............The data tag is missing, is the serial number stamped on the lathe some were?

Tim

Tim,

The tag that has the serial number on it should be located on the back side of the bed under the tailstock toward the tail end of the bed. They did not stamp the s/n in the logical place on top of the bed between the ways.

As for shear pins, I'm not sure which one's you are talking about or even if the lathe has such pins. Can you clarify which pins they are and where they are located?

The carriage lock plate and screw, you will have to make those parts. They are untainable like all of the rest of the parts on the lathe. Give me a chance to access mine and I'll draw it up for you. Won't happen for a few days. I'm up to my neck in work at the moment.

Ken

EDIT: the belt length for the 49-129 belt I believe is 50" long. The Belts on mine are labeled as "B50" which is "B" section belt by 50" long. I also have a note taken from somewhere saying 51" long. IF you belts are there on the machine, look for the markings on each belt. They still visible on my lathe for as old as it is and I'm sure they are original.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ken

I put 49-129 V-belt it to Google and came up with a mil spec. 5L-051
I ordered a set and they work great.

Thanks for the help with the carriage lock.

Tim

Yeah, 5L will run smoother. When I get ready to replace, I'll probably do the same. I really like to change out the sheaves to using 3V section belt, another smooth running belt, too!

Here is the location of the shear pins. Someone has installed a roll pin, but I do not know if that is correct. The upper one is gone.

Thanks

Tim

20160902_202943.jpg

Here is the location of the shear pins. Someone has installed a roll pin, but I do not know if that is correct. The upper one is gone.

Thanks

Tim

Tim,

My book calls out for a shear pin used in both the leadscrew and feed rod. Doesn't indicate what type of shear pin. I get a chance this weekend I'll pull mine and check it out and let you know. If I had to guess it is probably a Driv-Loc pin. Most of their common pins are made of 1215 material. I used to specify them in products that needed to shear at a given force years ago. Hardware store rod is probably too hard to use, yes, I stand correct. But, will be fine for H-M use. I'll report my findings soon. Ken

Back