New to me SB 9A

Looks like a nice machine. Tell us a bit more about it. Is this your first lathe?

Yes, it is my first lathe. My only experience running one is from high school shop eons ago, and using a Smithy combo machine to do some racecar parts. I have wanted one for years, but wanted a classic machine. This one popped up on Craigslist in Lake city, FL. They also had it on ebay. I knew I wanted it when the seller sent me a video clip of it running. The serial number look up suggests it was made in the late fifties. (37979). I will be looking for help along the way, but it included a 35th Edition of How to Run a Lathe. I have been reading a lot.

It looks like it has a lantern tool post. You might give some thought to buying an AXA quick change tool post for it. It will make your
life a lot easier in the long run. You also need to decide what type of tools to buy for it.

I ordered a china built AXA with extra tool holders. I am poking around now for a milling attachment. I would love an original SB unit, but Ebay costs are way too high. Open to suggestions on that purchase.

I ordered a china built AXA with extra tool holders. I am poking around now for a milling attachment. I would love an original SB unit, but Ebay costs are way too high. Open to suggestions on that purchase.
I have one that I am willing to part with. It's not absolutely authentic but it does work. I have a mill, and so don't use it. I am very flexible on pricing. PM me if you're interested.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Palmgren makes (or made) milling attachments in various sizes that might work for you.

Thanks for the suggestion - craptain has one I am buying. It looks almost like a SB mount, and may need a bigger vice one day, but it looks perfect to me.

Next I will need a 6 inch 4 jaw chuck, and a steady rest for a 9 inch lathe. Anyone have extras they do not need???

Dave I have an extra SB milling attachment, but you're very far away! The shipping isn't worth it...

Back