New to me Sharp HMV knee mill

You got it.
This was off of the add. I was so excited I forgot to take a single pic while i was there. The payment has probably gone through so I may swing by on my way home to pick up the book.
Screenshot_20210205-083216__01.jpg

That's a biggin ! :)

Looks like a beast:grin:

I didn't mean to question your rigging capabilities, just that when I thought I knew what I was doing moving my lathe it was great to have a couple of fellow forum members to help think things through and put some extra hands on the project.

Wish I had room for one of those....

John

Looks like a beast:grin:

I didn't mean to question your rigging capabilities, just that when I thought I knew what I was doing moving my lathe it was great to have a couple of fellow forum members to help think things through and put some extra hands on the project.

Wish I had room for one of those....

John
No worries.
I work with plenty of guys that I wouldn't let think about moving this beast. Some of them are certified riggers like myself. The guy that is delivering it will be able to set it directly on my dollies.

I get that. I have moved some stuff much bigger than this mill. That said the mill will only be 3/4" off of the floor. I have large pry bars and wedges, and the concrete is all smooth. There is about a 1/4"difference in elevation from the driveway to the slab. I will also have the head tilted down to get it through the door, also the knee down.
The lathe sat on these dollies for probably six months and didn't faze them. The one on the head end had a good share of the weight on it. not a problem. Also I will tack the dollies together with a piece of angle or flat bar to keep them from spreading apart.
The mill only weighs about 150 pounds more than the lathe so it should be fine.
Don't underestimate the challenge associated with the mill being extremely top-heavy. It's a very different animal from a lathe of comparable weight. I would suggest you consider moving the mill onto solid round stock or thick pipe transitioning from your driveway to garage. One inch could be big enough - the smaller diameter the better. The 1/4" difference will be in your favor if you do it at that point. And it is much easier and safer to move around on two pieces of pipe than on dollies. Also, getting it off the pipe will be very easy with your stout pry bar. (I made an 8' pry bar by welding a cleat onto the end of 2" thick-walled square tubing. I can easily jack up a corner of the mill with one hand.)

My wife and I have repositioned two mills all over the shop that way with no help. I also have stout homemade dollies, but the pipe trick is MUCH safer and easier on a mill.

Regards,
Terry

Reactions: Z2V
Just purchased a mill. Cant wait to get it home.
I have been looking for some time for a used mill, getting sort of frustrated from time to time. Then I decided relax, don't worry about it. When the time is right it will happen. So when ever I thought about it I would look on the usual places. Boom I found one, and it is about 12 miles from my house. pretty much what I was looking for, and was able to pick it up for a fair price. The only abuse that I can see in that it has been not used for years everything functions with the exception of the DRO. When the Machine is turned on it says Error 2.
Anyone that has read my previous thread will be happy to hear that this one comes with the original book. I don't know what year it is, but was told that it has been in this fab shop for at least 10 years with power but nobody ever remembers seeing it being used.
Good lord Here I go again. Any of you that have one of these, Please Chime In. Let me know how you like it and any helpful tips with disassembly and clean up. I have another project with limited time. at least for awhile, Retirement is just around the corner.
Just curious, It looks exactly like mine. Sharp told me,” I think you have a TMV.”
3hp, 10.25x50.25” table, dual cooling fans, heavy mother. The manual said 3,200#.
How did you determine it was an HMV?
When I contacted Sharp, I never got a firm account of the model even though I provided them the serial number.
??”

Attachments

• AD6F8ED5-8DE2-48AD-91D0-3A56F66553CA.jpeg
    AD6F8ED5-8DE2-48AD-91D0-3A56F66553CA.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 168
Just curious, It looks exactly like mine. Sharp told me,” I think you have a TMV.”
3hp, 10.25x50.25” table, dual cooling fans, heavy mother. The manual said 3,200#.
When I contacted Sharp, I never got a firm account of the model even though I provided them the serial number.
??”
I didn't, it was in the add listed as an HMV. I assume it was from the book. I saw the book but didn't really look at it.

??”
I just came home from picking up the manual. Says HMV. Not sure what the difference is. I also checked the cooling fans yes it had two, one is missing. Did a quick search for 220 volt cooling fans some are pretty spendy. I will have to get it home before I can measure the fan size before I order a pair.
Also with the manual, was an invoice for parts purchased in 2010 looks like quilt feed parts and some parts for the variable speed drive.
BTW if it feels sketchy at all on the dollies I will set it on some heavy black pipe to move it. And I will bhave my friend over to help plus I can always grab a neighbor or two.
When I move all of this stuff to Thailand in a few years. I will probably hire someone to bring a forklift over. I already have all of the rigging. And I won't be limited by a low ceiling and door opening.
IMG_20210215_150957.jpg

Back