New to me Sharp HMV knee mill

This is the key for the sliding portion of the varidrive pulley. It doesn't look like a factory part to me.
IMG_20210220_191925.jpg

That’s interesting,
My motor is not the original either.
There is a sticker on the motor from an electrical repair outfit in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Must be true about the problems with the original motors.
They should have a recall, send us free motors and drives!
Keep posting, I’m interested.
No, that key does not look right.

Just if any are curious. A couple of pics of the inside.
I think I need to replace both belts while I have it apart.
IMG_20210221_193613.jpg
IMG_20210221_193726.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210221_193538.jpg
    IMG_20210221_193538.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 105
Forgot to mention. The one shot lube is pretty much empty but has a little bit of gummy old lube in it going to take it off and soak it . I hope the lube lines aren't plugged. Probably the only way to really tell is to disassemble the whole knee.
I'm thinking it would be a good idea anyway.

I'd replace the belts now.
I had to replace a couple lines when I got my Sharp.
You kind of have to go through it, you never know who's been doing what over the years.
I'd go into the head but it's quiet, it works as designed so , if it ain't broke......
I've never seen the inside of one of these. Cool.

Ordered the new motor. She said the one on the shelf was miss labeled so I'm looking at a month lead time. Probably a blessing. I really need to go through the entire knee, clean and adjust. I may have to break out the engine hoist. I also asked her about the backlash adjustment tool. She said that she would throw one in.

Ordered the new motor. She said the one on the shelf was miss labeled so I'm looking at a month lead time. Probably a blessing. I really need to go through the entire knee, clean and adjust. I may have to break out the engine hoist. I also asked her about the backlash adjustment tool. She said that she would throw one in.
Once you go through it, clean and adjust, repair etc. As a hobby machine getting light use. You'll be good for a long time.
At least that's what I'm hoping.
My X travel actually got very smooth and effortless after I adjusted the gib to spec -.0015" movement as I recall. The Y is tighter.
The mill is a beast. Sometimes I wish it was smaller.
But, it's in my shop and it's paid for.

Once you go through it, clean and adjust, repair etc. As a hobby machine getting light use. You'll be good for a long time.
At least that's what I'm hoping.
My X travel actually got very smooth and effortless after I adjusted the gib to spec -.0015" movement as I recall. The Y is tighter.
The mill is a beast. Sometimes I wish it was smaller.
But, it's in my shop and it's paid for.
I plan to keep it the rest of my life. Then it is someone else's problem

I took the two piece nut adjusters out and it looks like the nuts are keyed. I don't think they have ever been adjusted, so they appear to be locked in place. Has anyone ever replaced these. If so could you give me some insight. I would like to get them out to clean, so the can be adjusted. BTW the X screw seams to be in pretty good shape. The threads seem to still be uniform in size the length of the lead screw.

Back