New to me Sharp HMV knee mill

I just dropped the table off at the surface grinder. I was debating weather I should have it ground. Then my new vice showed up. I just couldn't see mounting that beautiful new vice to that ugly old table.
I understand there are some concern's with tension in the table from various forces over time. Not really sure what to do about that. The table top wasn't really a workable surface the way it was. I was just looking to see if I had any good pictures of the state it was in. It doesn't really have any milling damage, but it does look like it was used as a work bench. It looked to me like about .020" to .025" would clean it up.
The shop I took it to is a Grinding shop. He said that they have done quite a few mill tables. He asked me if I wanted a standard or a "Blanchard" grind. He thought the Blanchard would be better but more difficult to do the set up. so likely a little more money.
I will post a picture that at least has the table in it.
IMG_20210220_171125.jpg

I soaked the one shot pump for a few days. disassembled it cleaned gave it a quick blast and a repaint. I filled it with some fresh way oil. And to my surprise, oil came out of all of the tubes that I can see, so just the knee elevator tube I wont see until I take the saddle off.
I was unsure how I would unplug or replace the lube tubes.
IMG_20210226_212214.jpg

Last edited:
Ok I got the table back from the surface grinder. Did I mention that it's really heavy? I couldn't help myself. I just had to set the new vise on it to have a look.
He said that they took .025" off. It looks pretty darn good. The question I have for you is, while it is so clean. Should I paint the drain area around the T slots?
And if your answer is yes, what would you suggest that I use for paint?

IMG_20210305_171256.jpg

After all the running today, I took some time to get the saddle off. Everything looks pretty good. Just the usual old oil and grime.
IMG_20210306_205001.jpg
IMG_20210306_205102.jpg
IMG_20210306_205036.jpg

Well, I painted while I could. I'm not sure about the color though. All that was on the shelf was Bright Green, Brown, and this Red. Probably should have gone the brown route. Oh well its done now. BTW there is one milling mark still left in the middle of the table its only maybe 1 or 2 thousands deep, we decided that it will likely not be a problem. And a vise will be on top of it most of the time anyway.
Tell me what you think.... its hideous isn't it.
IMG_20210310_170218.jpg

Well, I didn't have much to post for awhile. The machine is all but back together. everything is nice, tight and smooth. The motor is on the way should be here sometime tomorrow. That is a quick install. Then I will be just waiting on my buddy to come over to land all of the wires and program the VFD. I posted a couple of pics of the electrical mount I put together. I hope it's not in a bad spot, Now I'm picturing hot chips sticking to it and filling the vents.
I also decided to set up the Touch DRO system. I have all of the parts. I have only installed one of the scales, as I need the mill to make some parts for the rest of the install. The one scale that I do have installed works great.
I might get ambitious tomorrow and drag the table saw out to make some mill table covers. I was just going to use some 1/2" plywood for the covers maybe some 1X2 for the perimeter with a small lip on top to keep stuff from falling off. If you guys have any good ideas that would be great. Maybe post a pic of what you have done.
Also on another subject, The lathe in the background is also just about ready to power up.
And I know the shop is a mess. I need these two projects finished so I can clean up. Most all of the parts for the two machines, are back on the machines.

Attachments

• IMG_20210501_141359.jpg
    IMG_20210501_141359.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20210501_141412.jpg
    IMG_20210501_141412.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 108
I’m looking at your mill.
Mine is identical, I think.
Does HMV stand for heavy mother?
I think I have a TMV.
Nice job.

I’m looking at your mill.
Mine is identical, I think.
Does HMV stand for heavy mother?
I think I have a TMV.
Nice job.
Yes heavy mother fits.
Its like Christmas morning waiting for the motor.
Just curious, It looks exactly like mine. Sharp told me,” I think you have a TMV.”
3hp, 10.25x50.25” table, dual cooling fans, heavy mother. The manual said 3,200#.
How did you determine it was an HMV?
When I contacted Sharp, I never got a firm account of the model even though I provided them the serial number.
??”
I also was asking about this machines model and date of manufacture. she seamed to not want to look into it or didn't have the info.

Yes heavy mother fits.
Its like Christmas morning waiting for the motor.

I also was asking about this machines model and date of manufacture. she seamed to not want to look into it or didn't have the info.
Interesting. If I wanted to buy parts and wasn't sure what machine I had, shouldn't Sharp be able to look it up by serial number?
Well, they are consistent, you got no help and I didn't either.
"Say, i'm looking to buy a new Sharp mill but I'd like to sell my old one first, do you think you could help?"
Maybe that angle would work?
Customer no service

Back