New to me Versa Mill

benmychree

John York
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Neat! I have a pretty much complete Versa Mill setup, even the shaping attachment for keyseating.

azshadeguy

Registered
Can you take a picture?
I am taking mine apart right now.
It seems its leaking grease or oil from the head

benmychree

John York
Here are some pictures of my VersaMill, it is a model B, also pictured is the shaping attachment for keyseating in the lathe it pulls the cut from the backside of the hole towards the attachment, the adjustable footrests against the part to prevent it from being pulled out of the chuck, and it has a cam to relieve the cutter on the return stroke. I would sell this attachment.

Master Mill 002.JPG

Master Mill 003.JPG

Master Mill 004.JPG

Master Mill 005.JPG

Master Mill 006.JPG

azshadeguy

Registered
Thanks for the pictures. Did you buy yours new? The only attachment That came with mine is the universal head.
I think that is what it is called.
Mine has been leaking oil and I am cleaning it up right now . Do you know what kind of oil to put in the gear box?

benmychree

John York
I bought mine at an estate sale locally. I collected several accessories on e bay. I have a can of oil that came with it, and the manuals, I will look into it and report back, but I think it would be a non EP type gear oil, I assume that it has a bronze worm gear, and EP oils attack bronze.

azshadeguy

Registered
Ok thanks. Here are some pictures of how they made this a stand alone mill. They took these steel plates and welded them into a box. Then they bolted 2 pieces of solid steel bars to the feed table and the box. They turned the feed table upside down and made a plate with holes for hold downs. I am putting it back together and will try it out as soon I get a belt.

IMG_2370.JPG

IMG_2374.JPG

IMG_2375.JPG

IMG_2372.JPG

IMG_2375.JPG

IMG_2377.JPG

IMG_2380.JPG

benmychree

John York
I also have a feed table, what dimensions of yours?

benmychree

John York
The correct oil to be used in the gearbox is Mobil "super cylinder oil, extra hecla" this is 600W steam cylinder oil, black goo! If you can't find it, I have some in quart plastic motor oil containers. In the past I had a 30 ft steam launch with compound engine that I built and a wood and oil burning boiler, and I bought a 5 gallon pail of it for internal lubrication of the engine, and sold the oil to others for their boats.
My feed table is an original Master, made to set the milling device on and be bolted down for portable milling, it weighs nearly 100 lbs, and looks like it has never been used.288315

Last edited:

azshadeguy

Registered
My table is 16" x 9"
Thanks for the offer on the oil.
I will let you know if I need some.
I don't know how much oil it takes.
There is some in there and it covers the worm gear. I think that someone has laid this on it's side and some of the oil leaked out.

benmychree

John York
Yes, could be, or maybe it was overfilled. I have a copy of a manual that I downloaded from a web site many years ago, it is available.

benmychree

John York
Here are some pictures of the catalog pages showing accessories.

master  versa mill 001.JPG

master  versa mill 002.JPG

master  versa mill 003.JPG

master  versa mill 004.JPG

master  versa mill 005.JPG

master  versa mill 006.JPG

master  versa mill 007.JPG

master  versa mill 008.JPG

master  versa mill 009.JPG

master  versa mill 010.JPG

benmychree

John York
There are a bunch of units and accessories on e bay now, I searched under master lathe converter / versamill Master was the originator and later bought be Dumore under the name Versa Mill. Versamill improved the units making them reversible bu doing away with the screwed in taper arbors and adaptors, going to a cross pin arbor key and using a drawbar to retain the arbors.

jonesn7

Registered
In the 70s, all FBM submarines had VersaMills to use with their short-bed SB9 lathes. You should be able to find old Navy training and service manuals for them. I took a three-week Navy machine tool school, and one of the projects was cutting a spur gear utilizing the VersaMill on the lathe.

azshadeguy

Registered
The more I look at this mill I can see how much it has been modified. It looks like they added 2 inches to the height.
They also added 6 inches to the head attachment. I thought they all were like this until I started looking at the pictures here and on the web Also this is not the original motor.

IMG_2382.JPG

IMG_2383.JPG

IMG_2384.JPG

azshadeguy

Registered
In the 70s, all FBM submarines had VersaMills to use with their short-bed SB9 lathes. You should be able to find old Navy training and service manuals for them. I took a three-week Navy machine tool school, and one of the projects was cutting a spur gear utilizing the VersaMill on the lathe.
Thanks I will look around and see what I can find