New to me Versa Mill

Neat! I have a pretty much complete Versa Mill setup, even the shaping attachment for keyseating.

Can you take a picture?
I am taking mine apart right now.
It seems its leaking grease or oil from the head

Here are some pictures of my VersaMill, it is a model B, also pictured is the shaping attachment for keyseating in the lathe it pulls the cut from the backside of the hole towards the attachment, the adjustable footrests against the part to prevent it from being pulled out of the chuck, and it has a cam to relieve the cutter on the return stroke. I would sell this attachment.

Master Mill 002.JPG

Master Mill 003.JPG

Master Mill 004.JPG

Master Mill 005.JPG

Master Mill 006.JPG

Thanks for the pictures. Did you buy yours new? The only attachment That came with mine is the universal head.
I think that is what it is called.
Mine has been leaking oil and I am cleaning it up right now . Do you know what kind of oil to put in the gear box?

I bought mine at an estate sale locally. I collected several accessories on e bay. I have a can of oil that came with it, and the manuals, I will look into it and report back, but I think it would be a non EP type gear oil, I assume that it has a bronze worm gear, and EP oils attack bronze.

Ok thanks. Here are some pictures of how they made this a stand alone mill. They took these steel plates and welded them into a box. Then they bolted 2 pieces of solid steel bars to the feed table and the box. They turned the feed table upside down and made a plate with holes for hold downs. I am putting it back together and will try it out as soon I get a belt.

IMG_2370.JPG

IMG_2374.JPG

IMG_2375.JPG

IMG_2372.JPG

IMG_2375.JPG

IMG_2377.JPG

IMG_2380.JPG

The correct oil to be used in the gearbox is Mobil "super cylinder oil, extra hecla" this is 600W steam cylinder oil, black goo! If you can't find it, I have some in quart plastic motor oil containers. In the past I had a 30 ft steam launch with compound engine that I built and a wood and oil burning boiler, and I bought a 5 gallon pail of it for internal lubrication of the engine, and sold the oil to others for their boats.
My feed table is an original Master, made to set the milling device on and be bolted down for portable milling, it weighs nearly 100 lbs, and looks like it has never been used.288315

Last edited:
Back