New to me vintage Taiwan lathe

Here are additional images. I'm not yet sure what the "Clover leaf" aluminum knob is on the top right of the head stock yet, but then I haven't delved into the manuals generously provided. I'll get to it today. I did actually get to use it yesterday to finish a piece of an ashtray I was making. It worked fine, but I really want to fingure out the cross feed for facing purposes for sure. The knob that I believe engages the cross feed moves, and if I swing it left and then down the crank for the cross feed locks, but nothing moves when the lathe is running.

Attachments

• IMG_4480.jpg
    IMG_4480.jpg
    492.8 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_4482.jpg
    IMG_4482.jpg
    645.2 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_4483.jpg
    IMG_4483.jpg
    713.9 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_4486.jpg
    IMG_4486.jpg
    653.2 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_4487.jpg
    IMG_4487.jpg
    780.7 KB · Views: 157
(unless i'm mistaken) the clover leaf appears to be how you would disengage the spindle from the back gear

the lever on the gearbox front will change the feed screw in use.
one swing will operate the lower rod, the other swing will drive the large threaded screw
the small slotted driveshaft, located low on the apron , is the crossfeed driveshaft- if that is turning you can use the cross feed
the small controls located mid apron will give longitudinal and traversing drive, in finer ratios than the treading gear selection.
if the larger threaded screw is turning, you won't be able to use it for cross feeding, merely longitudinal travel for threading operations

(unless i'm mistaken) the clover leaf appears to be how you would disengage the spindle from the back gear
I'll check it out.

the lever on the gearbox front will change the feed screw in use.
You mean the one marked H and L?
one swing will operate the lower rod, the other swing will drive the large threaded screw
the small slotted driveshaft, located low on the apron , is the crossfeed driveshaft- if that is turning you can use the cross feed
I'll definitely check this out. Maybe that wasn't turning when I was playing with it yesterday...
the small controls located mid apron will give longitudinal and traversing drive, in finer ratios than the treading gear selection.
I'm familiar with them from the bigger lathe at the shop
if the larger threaded screw is turning, you won't be able to use it for cross feeding, merely longitudinal travel for threading operations
Could be the issue. Thanks! I don't have the lathe home yet so I can't run out to the garage and check it, but I'll stop at the shop tomorrow.
Also, the manual middle.road sent won't open because "I don't have permission"... :rolleyes:

It was blank when I opened it this morning, the link opened but no text.

Hi Jim: Camlock is one of the methods of attachment used to fasten the chuck onto the spindle nose. Yours looked at first like it might be, but I think it's actually the more conventional threaded type. You may have trouble removing the chuck- if so, ask for advice here so you don't break anything.
Cross feed mechanisms are sometimes a weak point on import lathes- It may be a broken gear, keyway, or shaft. Disassembly of the carriage is often required.
You're right about the wiring, it does look amatureish (like my spelling) I don't see any protective grommets on the drum switch wiring
You were smart in picking that machine over the worn Atlas, I would have also
-Mark

Last edited:
Hi Jim: Camlock is one of the methods of attachment used to fasten the chuck onto the spindle nose. Yours looked at first like it might be, but I think it's actually the more conventional threaded type. You may have trouble removing the chuck- if so, ask for advice here so you don't break anything.
Cross feed mechanisms are sometimes a weak point on import lathes- It may be a broken gear, keyway, or shaft. Disassembly of the carriage is often required.
You're right about the wiring, it does look amatureish (like my spelling) I don't see any protective grommets on the drum switch wiring
You were smart in picking that machine over the worn Atlas, I would have also
-Mark
Thanks, Mark. Mine is definitely threaded. I followed the instructions in the jet 1024 manual that was included to unscrew it. Then I disassembled it, cleaned it, greased it and reinstalled it. It works beautifully now.
I am thinking the cross feed doesn’t work simply because I don’t know what I’m doing. It seems like, based on the doctors description, that I need to use the high/low lever to select either the high, threaded drive or the low drive underneath it that has the keyway the length of the drive. I will switch it to the L position and see if the crossfeed works tomorrow. I am thinking the CrossFit doesn’t work simply because I don’t know what I’m doing. It seems like, based on the doctors description, that I need to use the high/low lever to select either the high, threaded drive or the low drive underneath it that has the keyway the length of the drive. I will switch it to the L position and see if the crossfeed works tomorrow.

Cross feed works just fine, although it moves very slowly. I had to switch the “H/L” lever to select it. Interestingly in the H position the lower, keyed bar rotates, and in the L position the upper threaded bar rotates. I’da guessed they stood for High and Low, but maybe that’s just me.
I’ll get a spot cleared in the garage and bring it him over the weekend. Of course I just sold my engine hoist two weeks ago to help pay for the lathe and now I need it.... :-(

Back