New to me Wells Index 847 help

thanks for all the input thus far.

i noticed something last night that im betting is my cause of issue. when i took off the right side cover to pull out all the stuff in the photos, i ran the machine in power downfeed to mess with the clutch adjustment...it power feeds without being engaged! even when i took out the bronze wishbone looking engagement arm and the mating gear, the gear on the shaft has some sort of friction that causes it to feed!

making me think that the "shaft assembly" photo is incorrect and the gear does go on from the same side as the washers. i tried assembling with the gear on that side a few times, but that would always push the wishbone arm out about 1/4" too far to allow the clutch adjustment part to connect.....BUT! that was before i realized the worm gear wasnt allowing me to fully push the shaft inside the head, and had to pull the transmission off the back a few inches first!

well guys, i think it just got figured out!!! the gear is on the wrong side of the shaft?

i will try to assemble with the gear on the other side of the shaft at lunch and see. have a feeling that will fix both power feed and spring issue....and hope anyone else in the future can use this info. that freaking vintage machinery manual is not the greatest.

angle side thrust bearing.jpg

handle side.jpg

saft assembled.jpg

shaft assembly.jpg

Spring close.jpg

... And now i broke something :blue: :blue:

switched the shaft assembly around, and figured out the order to reassemble everything to get the clutch adjutment nut working....started to put the rear gear cover back on, and this happened.....

misaligned in the head :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

BEARING NUMBER.jpg

CRACKED BEARING.jpg

Did you ever get your parts replaced? I am having trouble with the clutch fork also

and figured out the order to reassemble everything
By chance, could you briefly describe how you were able to pull these gears? I've removed the back plate and pulled the feed change shaft but can not figure out how to pull any of these gears. I assume they are removeable from the back? Does the head have to be removed?
downfeed gears.jpg

By chance, could you briefly describe how you were able to pull these gears? I've removed the back plate and pulled the feed change shaft but can not figure out how to pull any of these gears. I assume they are removeable from the back? Does the head have to be removed?
View attachment 390031
i had the head off on the bench. from what i recall accessing those plate covers was much easier that way. ill have to go through my pictures and refreshh my memory on how i did it. couldnt have been too bad. back then my tool collection was limited. just have to figure out the puzzle. there ws 1 gear inside the head that was a PIA . maybe plastic of some sort. i need to reopen mine as i messed up pwerfeed long ago andhave been avoiding it since

Glad to see you are still active in the forum! I just got an 847 and also going over it... might send a few questions your way as well... Mine has the standard head, not the variable speed head like yours...

I have been watching this build series as well to get acquainted with the machine... I sure hope I never have to go that deep into the internals :oops:

Probably be a good idea to study this thread:

At the time vintage machinery had a decent PDF with drawings. I 5hink Wells has similar pdf available now. It kinda helps, but I just attacked it. I take many more photos and videos when I tear down new tools because I may think I'm good, but confirming with good pictures has become more helpful as I progress.

Now I'm motivated to fix all the issues I've been working around again. Lol. The spindle clock spring / washer stack up on the nut side was never resolved. It's nice and clunky still. And the powerfeed. Most recent issue is the brakes hoe lever stopped working and I've been using Allen wrench on the stop screw ever time I tool change. Lol. I bought a ebay special pneumatic drawbar kit for cheap but it sucked too bad to keep using.planned on using the parts as a baseline... But It's been in pieces for a while.

Back