[Lathe] New to me Yangzhou TY-CO632 13x40 Gear Head Lathe.

ChrisAttebery

Rocket Nerd
Registered
I've been looking for a lathe for a while. I had a Rutland Tools 12x36" belt drive lathe for a few years. I sold it 6 years ago to help finance the Grizzly G0704 mill that I converted to CNC. At the time I was making parts for RC cars and they didn't lend themselves to turning. 3 years ago I got back into High Power Rocketry and I've missed having a lathe ever since.

I know a little more now so I had a wish list this time around:
1. 1800-2000 RPM. I turn a lot of smaller aluminum parts and I use a lot of carbide tooling.
2. Gear head. I was SO tired of swapping belt positions. I didn't want to deal with a variable speed lathe and their problems either.
3. It had to fit into a 36" x 72" hole in my garage.

I looked at a couple different machines on CL and it seemed like I missed them by less than a day each time. I finally found this "Bench top lathe" on Craigslist on Saturday. A quick search lead me to a couple threads on this lathe and the fact that the following retailers imported it:

Grizzly (G4016)
Enco (110-1340)
Frejoth 1340
Birmingham still sells it (YCL-1340GH).

I went to look at it yesterday. The guy selling it knew basically nothing about it. His father bought it on a whim and then rarely used it. The machine was pretty dirty but I realized that most of the cosmoline was still on the machine. The face plate, 4 jaw, steady rest, and follow rest had never been mounted or cleaned off. The metric change gears and a spare back plate were still wrapped in cosmoline and wax paper.

I turned a piece of aluminum with it and I could tell that it needed new belts. The gears all sounded good though. I paid him $1200 for it and we started loading it up. It took a couple hours to get it loaded on the trailer and another 20 minutes to get the load distributed back enough that the trailer wasn't bouncing all over the place. Once we got home it took another hour or so to get it back off the trailer.

So far I've spent about 3 hours cleaning everything. Under all the crap the bed is like new. It had been moved a couple times so the paint is chipped up but overall its in good condition.

Last night I ordered a pair of matched belts from McMaster Carr. I also ordered a handle for the tailstock and the gear shift indicator label from Grizzly. I'm at $60 in parts for far.

The first three pictures are what he had in his ad. The last picture is right after we got it off the trailer.

00O0O_cQSptgeQD4n_1200x900.jpg

00z0z_dbHxeYr6Klc_1200x900.jpg

00L0L_9e9HqAVFvxJ_1200x900.jpg

IMG_5580.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

My son and I have spent about 6 hours cleaning cosmoline and grit off the machine. It's a lot cleaner than it was when we picked it up.

Someone mentioned that they put risers on their Grizzly G4016 lathe because you can't get your hands between the machine and the chip tray to clean it. *BEST IDEA EVER.* I was planning to put risers under the stand, but I think this will work out better. I bought 3 pieces of 4" x 6" tubing 8.75" long. I'll put two under the head stock and one under the tail stock end.

This morning I picked up a gallon of ISO 68 gear oil and a gallon of way lube. I'm going to drain the head stock and apron and refill them both.

Nice score on the lathe, and I can see where the risers would be a great addition, and will probably bring it to a better working height. Mike

I got the risers laid out and got the holes drilled. I'll throw a coat of paint on them in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I drained the goop out of the headstock and replaced it with some fresh ISO 68 gear oil. While I was at it I pulled the headstock cover and inspected the gears. Everything looked good other than some goop on the underside of the cover.

I pulled the plug on the apron but nothing came out. I added a few ounces of oil to it too. We'll see how much of it is in the chip pan when I get home. The sight glass on the apron is black. I'm not sure if that means it's full of crap or if the lens turned opaque. I'll pull it off tonight if I get a chance.

I found one more problem. The fan on the motor looks like it dried out and broke. I pulled the cover off and the fan was in two pieces. I stopped by a local motor repair shop and they didn't have an exact replacement, but I found one that has roughly the same OD and a slightly bigger ID (23mm vs 18mm). Once I get the lathe running again I'll turn an aluminum bushing so I can get it mounted.

Once it warmed up a bit I put a coat of Industrial Gray paint on the risers. I'll try to get them installed tonight.

Last edited:
I was going to try to turn a bushing for the fan this morning and realized that the 220V plug on the machine is a 30A with the L shaped neutral. The plugs on my wall and extension cord are the 50A type with a straight neutral. Back to the HW store.

I looked at the apron sight glass and it's just a bit dark. I added a few more ounces of oil to the apron and it's good to go.

I mounted the risers. I managed to get the F/R hole spacing correct, but the L/R spacing was a bit too far apart on the tray side. I also realized that the stand bolts are 14mm instead of the 12mm specified in the Grizzly G4016 manual. I opened the holes in the risers to .75" and now I can get the bolts started. 4" is a big difference. It's easy to get under the machine to clean now, but it might be a bit too tall. I'll leave them alone until I get some time on the machine.

I found that one of the T-bolts on the compound is stripped. The nut turns but it's not coming off. I also found that socket on the set screw on the rear of the tail stock was cracked. I managed to get it out but the HW store didn't have any that long (M10-1.5 x 50mm).

Finally, I was looking at the manual and it recommends 3' of clearance all the way around the machine. I was planning to put it up against the side wall of my garage like my last lathe. This morning it dawned on me that if I rearranged the garage a bit I could put the lathe up against the garage door. That way I won't have to waste 18 square feet of garage floor and I can still access the back of the machine if I need to.

I wound up retapping all of the holes in the headstock stand. They were all goofed up. Once I got them retapped I used new bolts to attach the risers to the stand.

I replaced the plug. Then I turned a bushing for the fan and got the fan of installed.

The machine hums or resonates a lot while it's running. I pulled the belts and ran the motor by itself and it seems fine. The chip tray and covers for the stands resonate pretty bad. I might try adding some rubber or automotive undercoating to the backside of all three.

Anyway, it looks like it's ready to
move. I work on that over the weekend.

090d41f64ff78b78b6813336c4b1b9f0.jpg

Back