[Lathe] New to me Yangzhou TY-CO632 13x40 Gear Head Lathe.

Chris, From the photos, looks like you have no feet on the stand at the moment. Try putting some feet on the stand and level it up a bit. Giving it the proper support might help the resonance issue. Looks like you might be running it temporarily without the sheet metal back/stretcher between the stand pedestals?? The back will give it the benefit of that extra stiffness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris, From the photos, looks like you have no feet on the stand at the moment. Try putting some feet on the stand and level it up a bit. Giving it the proper support might help the resonance issue. Looks like you might be running it temporarily without the sheet metal back/stretcher between the stand pedestals?? The back will give it the benefit of that extra stiffness.
+1 on the feet, they help in leveling.
That cabinet looks identical to mine and I ditched the panel to have some space for storage.
The screws holding on the panel were ~m5 or m6 and the panel didn't seem to me to be doing anything for stiffness. It was 'wobbling' even after I reseated the screws.
The construction of the cabinet is pretty decent. The two end pedestals are substantially welded to the pan and the construction and
cross section of the pan weldment is decent.

I do not have a lathe like this one but I do have a stand under a 1340 that is similar.

On mine I see the sheet metal back as a "tension member" and stabilizer between the two pedestals and as such, I would not remove it without replacing the structural benefit in some manner.

lathe feet profile.jpg

I do not have a lathe like this one but I do have a stand under a 1340 that is similar.

On mine I see the sheet metal back as a "tension member" and stabilizer between the two pedestals and as such, I would not remove it without replacing the structural benefit in some manner.

View attachment 255770

All depends on the rigidity of his chip pan. My machine does not have the piece between the cabinets either, but the thickness and design of my chip pan is heavy enough that it is not required. You could almost use my chip pan for car ramps. :grin:

Sorry Randy, maybe my post wasn't so clear. I was referring to mine just as a "go by".

I did notice that Chris' machine came with one too. Glad yours didn't.

I'm planning to put the panel between the cabinets back on once it's moved to its final position. I was also planning to bolt the stands to the floor since we're in earthquake country.

I'm planning to put the panel between the cabinets back on once it's moved to its final position. I was also planning to bolt the stands to the floor since we're in earthquake country.

Chris... there is a post on H-M somewhere about the pros and cons of bolting or not bolting machines to the floor in earthquake zones.
I'm not positive, but it seems to me the author stated that machines in the "zone" were better off being able to move or slide a bit vs. being
bolted to the floor.

Maybe one of the administrators can find the thread and repost it...

I got it moved and leveled this morning. It doesn't seem as loud as before so I'm guessing that the stands weren't solid on the floor before. I can push it around will all of my 240 pounds and it's not moving now. I got all of the sheetmetal installed except the kick panel. I need my son to crawl behind it to tighten up the nuts.

IMG_5589.jpg

Back