New to Surface Grinders

Are there any special tricks to releasing the wire for the table? I think I read somewhere that you can lose the end of it and it can be a pain to re-route it... Also the owner said the rheostat was to control the strength of the grip on the magnetic chuck. Why would you ever need to reduce the force holding a part down?

Sorry for the newbie questions...

I wouldn't rely on the moving company for anything other than moving the machine the fastest easiest way they can. They will not care other than damaging it to where the customer can see the damage. If it were mine I would be downloading a manual and reading up on it. The table has cylindrical rollers I believe, the table cables should be able to be disconnected at the ends of the table maybe bungy cord them once disconnected to keep them taunt. Block the head and lock the saddle if it has the provision. I had looked at that auction machines looked good. Was a bit far of a drive so I passed. Nice buy.

Electromagnetic chucks are quite useful for thinner and spindly parts, which can and will warp if they are magged down too hard. After grinding they will have a wavy surface or inaccurate features. That is much harder to do with a permanent magnet. Holding work safely but not too strong is a learning experience for new SG users. Use just enough force to mag it down, and block it with additional pieces to help contain it in place. Throwing parts is not good for your health, gives you a nervous tic, and usually makes you start over on the job. Be smart, be safe.

EM chucks can also degauss the part, and some will hold much stronger than PM chucks. The preferred industrial choice when cost is not an object of concern.

Another trick for moving it without too much disassembly is to lift the table enough to put a wood spacer underneath (remove the bearings/cages first)! and then strap it down. If the table is moved separately, great care must be taken because the top and the bottom have critical surfaces and should be strapped to a wood carrier or pallet to avoid damage...

Thanks for the feedback. I am definitely not planning to trust the movers to make all the right decisions on moving this thing so that is why I plan to go there tomorrow to prepare as much as possible. I will bring as many tools as I think I need and some wood blocks etc... Hopefully we can get this stabilized to avoid damage while they move it. I did see that this chuck also degausses the part so you don't have to demagnetize the part like you do using a PM chuck. Pretty nice setup...

Gary

I took my table off the SG and transported it in the rear seat...

If it comes with extra wheel adapters, make sure it is transported with a wheel adapter in place to protect the important tapered spindle. a ding on that and you are in for a world of hurt.

I was able to get access to the grinder this afternoon and removed the chuck and controller first. Then I removed the DRO scale on the side just to make sure it didn't get hammered during the move. After that I disconnected the cable (very easily done) and simply lifted the table off the saddle. You guys were 100% correct, the table had ball bearings underneath that were all running in a carrier (for lack of a better word). All looked pretty good and I think it is now ready for moving. Many thanks for the advice and observations... I will post more pictures once it is moved and I am cleaning things up before reassembly.

oops - taking the chuck off could cost you some work. Clean everything up and take any corrosion off and see if the chuck sits nice - if it does, then you aren't too bad off. When it doesn't then you have to scrape to get it to sit nice. If it rocks at all, when you tighten it down, it can warp the table...

On that note: some guys use a big honking bolt on each end of the chuck, and really reef on the wrench. 1/4NC or 5/16NC or similar size and firm pressure is all you need. 'gronking' on the bolt is not advised.

I'm glad this thread came back to life.
I had Bob with me when we looked at the B&S 618 Micromaster I ended up buying.
Haven't moved it yet.
Taking the table off would be a good idea I guess.
Hadn't remembered that.
Better get some help on the move.
These guys know what they are talking about, I'm listening. Glad to have you.

I really needed to take it off because I want to get rid of the years of accumulated crud. Bottom is just dirty in narrow strips. All-in-all looks pretty nice with the exception of a poor wire splice between the chuck and the controller. I need to get into it and replace with one piece of cable...

Back