New tool chests - Gerstner International

Technical Ted

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
A sale came up on my local Craig's List that I couldn't pass by... Never used top and middle Gerstner International tool boxes. I'm sure these are not as nice as the "real" Gerstner and Sons boxes ($$$$$), but for the price I gave for these I am VERY happy! Apparently, these are some of the first models available when Gerstner first went overseas. A fellow bought them when he was ill and never recovered to use them, so they were new. He gave them to one of his buddies who put them in storage in his basement and just now decided to unload them.

Very well built for imports. I can't see where any of them is veneered. The inner supports between the small draws are plywood though, but you can't see them unless you remove the drawers.

Now, my Kennedy boxes are slated for mill cutting tool storage since I'm tired of pawing through several boxes of end mill, etc. when I'm looking for a particular size.

I certainly got my money's worth!

Ted

IMG_20190113_105546.jpg
IMG_20190113_105819.jpg

One that I saw years ago had drawers that were quite sloppy in their fit in the case; fortunately, I bought mine, a 24" with center drawer for the Machinery's handbook (in walnut) back in the 1960s for all of $76, and later the base unit with 4 drawers. The device at the lower left is a stack of steel discs for setting micrometers, from 1 - 6", it came from Mare Island Navy Yard, they were set on benches around the machine shop, so the machinists could calibrate their own micrometers. The ring leaning against the top lid is a piston ring that I made for a steam hammer at the fabricating shop at the plant where I apprenticed back in the 1960s, that ring was an extra; with all the work necessary to make fixtures to make the ring, I'm quite sure that was an expensive ring!

tool box 001.JPG

tool box 002.JPG

tool box 003.JPG

The drawers aren't too bad on this one. I'm sure not as good as the ones made in USA, but not bad, better than some other import boxes I've seen. In fact, I've got a vintage wooden box with no ID of manufacturer that has sloppier drawers than this one.

Maybe some day I'll get lucky and score a nice Gerstner and Sons box. I'm always looking on Craigs List. But, for me to buy one new now, at several thousands of dollars for a top and mid, is not on the radar screen. :(

John, let me know if you ever want to sell yours! ;) I'd even keep the IAM decal on it since I belonged to that same union for 15 years before moving into management.

Ted

Back