New Tool Post for 618

MillersvilleProf

Registered
Registered
I have been meaning to make a new tool post for my Craftsman 618 lathe for awhile now. The tiny lantern is hard to adjust and I feel the quick change tool post I have is just a step away from a broken cross slide and not ridgid enough, and ridgidity is not something you can spare with these tiny 6" lathes.

Basic design machined out of a block of 1018 I had lying around and s definite improvement over the other tool posts that I have.

Attachments

• 20200708_210506.jpg
    20200708_210506.jpg
    872.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 20200708_210533.jpg
    20200708_210533.jpg
    776.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 20200708_210638.jpg
    20200708_210638.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 41
I have been meaning to make a new tool post for my Craftsman 618 lathe for awhile now. The tiny lantern is hard to adjust and I feel the quick change tool post I have is just a step away from a broken cross slide and not ridgid enough, and ridgidity is not something you can spare with these tiny 6" lathes.

Basic design machined out of a block of 1018 I had lying around and s definite improvement over the other tool posts that I have.
Looks great!

joe

WOW! What a dressed-up Atlas/Craftsman 6 inch!!

Questions:

1) What is the white ring on the cross-feed? An enhanced scale?

2) What is the corrugated way cover material. Looks like a great idea.

3) Have you posted more details on your adjustable stop?

4) That looks like an import 3-jaw chuck. I'm still nursing along the original 3-jaw but it is rather bell-mouthed. How would you rate yours? Is the concentricity good? Solid work holding?

Thanks for anything you can share.

Craig

this is my home made tool post for my atlas craftsman lathe.
and this is my enco milling machine.

Last edited:
1- the white ring is an extension made from uhmw to move the handle out for more hand clearance.
2- the corrugated cover did not work out so i did something different.
3- the adjustable stop works fine, i will post a better picture later.
4- the chuck was a upgrade for the lathe, works fine.
thanks for your interest, ray

this is a closer pick of the adjustable work stop and a pick of the corrugated way cover replacement.Resized_20210213_150758.jpeg

Last edited:
Interesting. Every other stop I've seen has been made to clamp to the lathe bed. Yours is mounted to the headstock, right? The casting isn't machined there; how did you get a good fit?

Thanks for the pics!

Craig

Millersvile You may want to take a look at Winky's Workshop videos on the lantern tool post he made. Has some good ideas on how to improve a lantern tool post.

You did a really nice job on your new tool post. Is it easy to remove? Maybe you could make some more holders to fit on the post. A dedicated parting tool holder that rests directly on the compound will make a big difference in parting. I made one for my Norman style QCTP and it made all the difference in parting. Another idea that I pirated from Winky's Workshop.

Back