New Toy

Did you bought the machine in working condition, if is working don't mess with the wiring, many older machines have many safety switches bypassed, so if you start chasing it you'll be there for days.

On a planer mill the bed would move, on a HBM the bed would also move. I guess the difference would be that the planer mill bed moves the work all the way under the milling head, whereas on the HBM the work and bed stays on one side of the vertical uprights. The HBM spindle is always horizontal, and I would guess that the planer mill spindle could work pointing horizontal, vertical, or in between(???)
On a boring mill there are long spindles to bore with , this mill the table traverses under the cutter. It can only bore up to about 8-10" of downward travel of the spindle mounted cutter. The planer mill the spindle turns to cut and the table traverse like a planer.

Not much happened today! Had to do som real work, Change air suspension bellows on a trailer
So just dream about what jobs you can do with this machine
Switch on the power yesterday burned some fuses! The motors work and the DRO
It has been stating for 10 years and collecting dust
On Wednesday, an electrician will check on it

DSC00968.JPG

DSC00969.JPG

Boy do I remember working with these babies . Seemed like all my shops I progressed through I got bigger and bigger machines to set up and operate. Standard set up equipment was jacks 6' pry bar, 20 lb sledgehammer for fine adjustments. But when you need to move a 2 thousand lb casting a few thou , it works. So I guess being 6'4" @ 275 lb of muscle they wanted there share of hard work. But I didn't mind I was use to hard labor started when I was 5 years old.
She's a real nice machine good luck with her. I love to see machines rescued and put back in service.

Needed a manual for a Mitutoyo digital (DRO) so called Mitutoyo Stockholm Sweden got the answer that such old crap (type) don't we have manuals or spare parts for !! Ok mailed to Mitutoyo USA within two minutes I received the manual (in English) and call support

Man I love that machine . One of my old favorites. I had a big shop I ran lots of machinery . We did gov. Contracts some classified but there all known now. I enjoyed the missile builds , milling out the fins was a real pita. Even the lugs to mount them had fit and special finish that were held. Very Kool to machine titanium fifty years ago.

Back