New (Used) Enerpac Press (Help!- needs work)

rwm

Robert
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I picked this up today real cheap from a very nice veteran from good old Wilks-Barre PA:

1586213451714.png

The thing is kind of massive! I am hoping this will make a great shop press but it has some immediate issues.
Most importantly, these threads are stripped and loose:

1586213535886.png

I have some ideas on repair that I will get into. Any one out there have any experience with Enerpac?

Robert

Last edited:
I rebuilt a cylinder and a handpump for one a few years back. The hand pump looks like yours but the cylinder is completely different.

Which threads are stripped? The Cylinder to the C-Frame? If so which side is bad?

Which threads are stripped? The Cylinder to the C-Frame? If so which side is bad?

The cylinder to the C frame threads are stripped. It is hard to tell which ones are worse. Her are some pics:

1586215955131.png

1586215987239.png

According to Enerpacs site the thread should be 2-1/4 x 14 UN (V shaped non tapered) . If I measure the OD of the cylinder threads I get 2.180. If I measure the tops of the threads in the C frame I get a similar measurement of 2.185. I interpret that to mean that they are both damaged with the C frame being worse. Comments please?
I think this is gonna make an awesome shop press if we can get it to work! Let's collaborate!
Robert

Edit: I should add that there was a set screw entering the C frame collar from the front and engaging that dimple that you see in the cylinder threads. At some point it must have moved, hence the plow marks through the threads! I have thought of several ways to "repair" this already but I want to hear everyone's ideas and hopefully take the best path.
Robert

Last edited:
The specs for the thread are:

Major diameter:2.2483 / 2.2379
Pitch diameter:2.2019 / 2.1961
Minor diameter:2.1632 / 2.1452
Over wires:2.2637 / 2.2580

Actually, looking at the specs, the cylinder threads are knocked down by about 70 thou (diameter)off the major diameter. The C frame threads are knocked down by about 20 thou off the minor diameter. So I assume the cylinder threads are worse? That might be good since I can replace the cylinder more cheaply. Am I reading that right?
Robert

Last edited:
will both of those things fit in your lathe and mill? The way I'd fix it is to bore out the threads in the C frame and press in a top hat bushing (wide flange underneath) that's threaded to fit the cylinder. Pick up and chase the cylinder threads on the lathe, using the threaded top hat bushing as a gauge. Could also do it the other way round, doesn't reall matter.

Weird that the cylinder was pushed up like that, going by the set screw gouge. I would have thought that there would be more than enough thread engagement for that thread depth.

Thanks Matt. The C frame weights 100 lbs or more. I suppose it could be milled with a boring head on a Bridgeport. I have a Sherline so that's out! But I like the way you think. That is a good plan. I am wondering if I replaced the cylinder if there would be enough thread engagement? I am thinking yes?
I can get one on evilbay:
1586222630010.png

If most of the thread wear is on the cylinder then this would work.
Robert

I don't think that kayak will help you one bit though :)

I think the sherline would be ideal - remove the Z ways and headstock from the base, mount to fixture attached to C-frame, bore out hole. Simple :D Is your lathe big enough to mount the cylinder and chase the threads?

The threads on the C-frame look ok to me, so a new cylinder would work. I'd imagine the thread dimensions are standard for a certain cylinder diameter.

What if you put long studs in the holes on top of the frame that went to the top of the cylinder then put a thick plate fastened to the studs. So that it would sandwich the cylinder compressing to the frame. Using large enough studs and thick plate should be enough. That is a 12ton cylinder I believe.

Does that cylinder say "Enerpac" anywhere on it? I have quite a few and they are all impressed or LASER marked with the brand, P/N and PSI.
I just put a caliper on the threads of a new Enerpac RC106 and read 2.250 on the major diameter (painted).

An off-brand cylinder may be at the root of the problem.

I suggest that you source a replacement cylinder w/ good threads right off the bat. The ram on yours shows shows substantial corrosion anyway.

I'm guessing that part of the problem is related to the PO wanting to orient the cylinder port/gauge toward the front/operator, therefore the setscrew plus the cylinder wasn't bottomed tight in it's mount as it should have been.

when you put it all back together, please mount the cylinder bottomed tight in it's threads. Let the cylinder port fall where it may and orient the gauge via plumbing as required.

Last edited:
Back