New user looking for some infomation.

JacksonMoto

Registered
Registered
Good evening people,
Im hoping you can help me with some information about this machine.
so my father is a car mechanic in London and has had this machine for 45 years or so. He swapped it for some parts I think. Its still sitting at the back of his shop and has been dubbed "The closest lathe to the queen" although i'm not sure that true haha. He was a machinist in his twenties but now 74 he cant remember everything so wanted some details about this machine.
.We done know who makes it?
.We don't know how old it is?
.It works great! and we regularly us it for small jobs and making myself some motorbike parts but (for me) its a pain shimming tools correctly. Where can I buy a stack of shimming? if that's a thing...
.Self threading pieces work fine (not sure what that's properly called) but the biggest issue with it is the drill on the end! its completly sagged way to low to center so seems useless. My father seems to think it would have a wedge you tighten up to pull it over/up but i can only find two allen bolts either side that pull it side to side. Any suggestions?
.The belts on the clutch at the back seem very worn and loose so can i get them anywhere or is there someone that comes round and refurbish all the parts?

really appreciate any information you guys can give us!
thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200506_230154_com.instagram.android.jpg
    Screenshot_20200506_230154_com.instagram.android.jpg
    744.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Screenshot_20200506_230209_com.instagram.android.jpg
    Screenshot_20200506_230209_com.instagram.android.jpg
    666 KB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot_20200506_230213_com.instagram.android.jpg
    Screenshot_20200506_230213_com.instagram.android.jpg
    771.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_20200506_230245_com.instagram.android.jpg
    Screenshot_20200506_230245_com.instagram.android.jpg
    695 KB · Views: 46
So far as the tailstock height is concerned, you can shim between the top and its base to get it to the proper height you would want to chuck up a dial guage and run it around the tailstock OD to know how much it is off kilter. They get that way from wear sliding the tailstock back and forth.. By the looks of it, I'd guess it was made in the mid 1930s or onward. I imagine that likely helped save the world for democracy in the Hitler war!
It could be possible that the drill chuck mounting could be bent, check that out first.

Does some hunting around the machine today. Its made by Willson. then we tried adjusting the tail stock but it must be so worn because the small amount of shimming we could do still wasn't enough.

Back