New Vertical Head for #1 Burke Horizontal Mill By Mike Rauchle

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Posted with permission of the author:

To: Nelson T. - The Hobby-Machinist <im_all_thumbz@yahoo.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 1, 2013 5:58 AM
Subject: Re: Burke #4 Vertical Head Build

Nelson- Thanks for the comment, yes, go ahead and post it if you wish. Regards, Mike

On Tue, 30 Apr 2013 08:23:46 -0700 (PDT), "Nelson T. - The Hobby-Machinist" <im_all_thumbz@yahoo.com> wrote:
Your article on building a vertical head for the Burke #4 was great, and I was wondering if I could get your permission to post it on Hobby-Machinist.com for our members.

Thanks,

Nelson
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Owner, SB Heavy 10L, Van Norman 12, Burke #4
http://www.Hobby-Machinist.com

In PDF format:

View attachment New Vertical Head for.pdf

New Vertical Head for #1 Burke Horizontal Mill

I slapped this vertical head together in a couple days about 10 years ago. It does a half assed job but the spindle is a fixed .500 bore, so it's kinda limited. Also could use more appropriate bearings. So, here we go with the upgrade to an R-8 spindle.

image002.jpg2

Raw materials rounded up, bored the shaft for the drawbar and the R-8 then used a collet with the live center to turn the bearing surfaces.

image004.jpg4

image006.jpg6

image008.jpg8

image010.jpg10

image012.jpg12

Spindle Housing

Spindle housing is A-50, 4 X 4 X .500 square tube, It will be oil filled with a sight glass and provisions to lube the top bearing

image014.jpg14

image016.jpg16

Spindle Seal

Stainless spindle seal retainer

image018.jpg18

Jeweling/Engine Turn

I had some spare time on my hands today.

image020.jpg20

image022.jpg22

Key and Sight Glass

R-8 key, 5/32" ejector pin. Sight glass threaded into body of the spindle housing. This is the 1st time I have threaded A-500 material and it sucked. 1 7/8"-24 TPI. while boring,I started with HSS...tearing, carbide..tearing and chatter, HSS single point...tearing ...looked horrible. Tried different geometries,etc. just could not get a real clean cut.Maybe next time,any thoughts?

image024.jpg24

image028.jpg28
image038.jpg

image030.jpg30

image032.jpg32

Seal Fit-up

I think I should have chosen a larger sight glass.

image034.jpg

image036.jpg

I do need to see in there as there will be a slinger to direct the oil to the upper race
I guess I'll find out what happens on power- up thru the giant sight glass
How long have co-ax indicators been around? I love this thing. Now, I need some ideas due to my poor planning. As you can see, I made 2 left hand threaded rings for pre-load adjustment, I need an idea to mechanically lock the top ring to the shaft after adjustment, I am drawing a blank right now. Thanks in advance, Mike
image040.jpg

My first swing at it was a 4-40 cup point set screw, axially, however, when you tighten it, it takes out the lash in the threads in that spot and creates an uneven force against the inner race. Radial might be better or a keyed locking tab washer.

Bill[/QUOTE]

Bearing Retainer Lock

Sometimes you just have to stop over-thinking things and just try SOMETHING!

image042.jpg

image044.jpg

image046.jpg
image052.jpg

image048.jpg

image050.jpg

Done,well except paint.
Had alot more time in this than I wanted but it was worthwhile. It works better than I expected and that's gratifying, runout is .0005. Not bad considering it was done on a 1929 SB, just shows what can be done with careful setup between centers. A little paint and call it good.

image054.jpg54

image002.jpg image004.jpg image006.jpg image008.jpg image010.jpg image012.jpg image014.jpg image016.jpg image018.jpg image020.jpg image022.jpg image024.jpg image028.jpg image030.jpg image032.jpg image034.jpg image036.jpg image038.jpg image040.jpg image042.jpg image044.jpg image046.jpg image048.jpg image050.jpg image052.jpg image054.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Since not everyone is familiar with the US Machine Tools #1 horizontal hand mill that is featured in this thread, I'd just like to mention that not having a movable quill on this machine is not nearly as bad as it is on most verticals, because the spindle head that also carries the over arm, (that the author mounted his shop built vertical head on) is mounted on dovetails and has as much vertical movement as a J head Bridgeport quill.

Though the over arm will rotate, allowing the the head to be tilted, the dovetails remain vertical so it will only plunge-cut when the head is vertical.

That's really not too bad, as some vertical knee mill operators NEVER tilt the head, most will a few times but even then, a lot of that work can be done without using a quill, so the difference is not very important to most.

They are rugged industrial grade horizontal mills, weighing over 1,000 pounds.

Below, mine arriving home a few years ago and below that, restored and milling steel with a 3" OD X 4" wide slab-mill cutter.

In the bottom pic, the handle going out of frame to the left is fitted to a quadrant or sector gear inside the spindle head that engages a rack attached to the column, raising and lowering the spindle head on it's dovetails and can be locked at any elevation. It is counterbalanced with a large cast iron weight inside the column, on a cable that goes up, over a pulley and then down and is fixed to the spindle head.

I hardly ever cut keyways with a fragile end mill in a vertical because it's so slow and inefficient compared to the large diameter cutters on a horizontal, (like the one in the top pic) and I hardly ever cut them on my nearly 4,000 pound K & T universal horizontal either. The U.S. Machine Tools hand mill featured in this thread excells at cutting keyways in horizontal mode and a lot of other things, all in a tiny footprint.

No intent to hijack, just giving a wider shot of the same mill and why it's a good candidate for his nice, non-quill vertical head attachment.

Bob

US Machine Tool #1 arriving home.jpg United States Machine Tool # 1 hand mill.jpg

Last edited:
Back