New vise - Teco or Shars Tegara

Glacern has free shipping right now on vises, just got a email from them.

I just ordered the glacern. Not sure one is better than the other, but I'm sure glacern will be nice. Honestly I wanted to try the shars unit to see how nice it was or the teco since I cant find much info on it, but I went with the glacern since it has a solid rep and figure itll be more than I ever need.

I just purchased a 4" Shars Tegara vice for my mill. I have to say I am impressed, its too big for my tiny surface plate so all my checks where done on the mill table. The bed was parallel side to side and end to end, jaws were parallel to the bed. All it seems well made, don’t feel like I’m going to snap the screw like on the cheapie it replaced.

As far as swivel base vises--forget them. Get a real vise and then put it on a real rotary table. The rotary table is miles easier to tram in (and at any angle.)

Although I am using a 4" vise (Grizzly) on a 10" Rotary table, my whole setup would be more optimal with a 5" or 6".

As far as swivel base vises--forget them. Get a real vise and then put it on a real rotary table. The rotary table is miles easier to tram in (and at any angle.)

Although I am using a 4" vise (Grizzly) on a 10" Rotary table, my whole setup would be more optimal with a 5" or 6".

That's fine if you have the room for it and the strength to put the combination together. My 8" Palmgren vise weighs just shy of 140 lbs., and is about 6" high. My 12" Index brand rotary table weighs a tad over 150 lbs., and is a little over 6" tall. The combination would take up more than a foot of headroom, and weigh close to 300 lbs. I wouldn't want to have to put it on a and take it off the mill table on a regular basis

Welp, went with the Glacern. Super nice and this thing is a beast. Well for me at least. Huge step up in size from my last 4" on my PM-932.
15955478016716065894780061901307.jpg

15955478762398454114288824306448.jpg

Your vise looks too pretty to mess up with chips.

Did you get to take advantage of the free shipping?

I really think that free shipping on a heavy item like a vise is a really good deal. I can't imagine what it would cost to ship that vise. Enjoy!

Back