New welding section to go with or in the Metrology or other topic lists

Rbeckett

Gold
Rest In Peace
Nelson and the membership, What do you think about the factsince most machinists often weld as part of there job descriptions Howz about a sectiion devoted to welding and broken into sub topics like Mic/Mag, projects, stick, Tig, O/A and all other. There are quite a few welding only type sites but the mingling with machining may be a good idea. It will definately open some tool and die makers eyes to what is possible abd what aint and educate the welders why some thing are done the way they are. . How many times have we the machinist hit a piece of embedded tungsten or a piece of carbide and had to stop and repair or replace the tool in the holder. Happens all the time because the welder and the machinist are not on the same page as far as understand the why and hows it happens. That gap could be bridged fairly easy and could expand as needed at a later date to include manufacturers specific and other processes/projects. Just a thought to help the site a bit. I;m happy with this site now, but I would like to see it grow and blossom into a one stop info shop if thats even possible. I have lots of time available if the workload becomes overwhelming or if you plain just need some help. Momma always said dont knock anything you are not willing to back up and support youre suggestions.
Bob

Seems a decent idea for a part of the welding forum. It wouldn't be part of Metrology. We would need to be careful not to allow it to turn into a complaint against welders or machinists who think they know the other guy's job better, but could help build better communication between the related trades.

Agreed on the no moaning and whining. Thats the exact issue I am having getting info from other sites, some have deteriorated to a grudge match controlled by one or two individuas and most of the posting is into the Off topic areas. That would be eliminated by deletion of what would be Off-topic posting. We could put that in a top of the topic in a FAQ sticky. Then it would be greatly limited to a point that is pretty manageable.

author=Tony Wells link=topic=3585.msg26094#msg26094 date=1316149076
We would need to be careful not to allow it to turn into a complaint against welders or machinists who think they know the other guy's job better,

Question - What's the difference between welders, machinist, and puppies?

Answer - Puppies usually quit whining after 6 weeks! (just kidding of course)

Last edited by a moderator:
As I Tried to find a welding site for Hobby Welding...I believe, strongly, that this is the perfect place for such a site. The m0del presented on this forum is exactly what the hobby welder/machinest needs. welding forums that now exist.. do not particularly care for the influx of Asian Welding machines. It has become almost an ethnic issue which machine you should have.
The welding section, if it becomes a section , should not give any consideration to whaat Brand of welder a member has or uses. maybe the brand should not be named.....probably never happen
joe
just my .02

We don't hesitate to review makes and models of other equipment. Just make sure you are praising or panning something you own, have owned or have used extensively. Unfounded opinion doesn't help anyone.

Mike

Last edited:
What is wrong with the current Hobby Machinist welding section?
Found here: http://hobby-machinist.com/index.ph...2d3da573d=6911f6fe646bc8461aceb414c5895fe8#c4

The note by DaveH about separating "Welding & Casting" into separate topics is valid
since the two topics are far apart but both are tools used by the Hobby Machinist. Would this be a needed improvement or just more complication?

Benny
In middle Tennessee, USA

Last edited by a moderator:
Your right.... :-[ Dumb me ++++++ never thought about that section of my favorite forum .
I've seen that section but completely forgot that it was already a part of this forum.
Joe

Back