Newb dumb question time

Spotshooter

Registered
Registered
1) is there a better / best type of oil squirt can for the ball type lube points on the ways / aprons ... the tip on mine kind of stinks

2) is there a better type of rag to use for coating ways than others

Stuff I learned of late

Oil costs were kind of a suprise.
- I found a oil distributor for the headstock oil, apron oil, and ways oil... one can pay 40-50 bucks for a gallon, or get 5 Galons for 70-90 bucks.. all good.

Coolant vs. cutting oil - I don’t machine a lot so many of the gunsmiths that aren’t doing a ton of hot cutting often use cutting oil instead of coolant..
- 2-3 gallons of cutting oil, just another cost you tend not to think about.

First off you know theirs a rule hear that their are no dumb questions !
Theirs just stuff you don't know yet

:)

I find my fave rags are old cotton towels and such, mostly all my old (worn out) clothes become shop rags now.

Micro fibers are hideous for picking up metal chips and not letting go of them I find.

I cover my lathe with cotton drop sheet when not in use , this has been working well for a few years.

I have been using "rigid" tapping / cutting oil. I bought 5l (gallon) a year and a half ago and I think I might have used maybe 1 liter.

The white suds type that is mixed with water is generally used for flood coolant.

I got my bearing oil from a boaty supplies place, it's detergent free, a lot of boat oils are good for lack of detergents etc. due to issues with salt water.

I have been using way oil of a brand that I cant remember. The way oil is generally less prone to running off so in theory it shold last better. Although i like to wipe down the ways with a bit of rag if they have gritty dirt or any abrasives on them and put some fresh on.

If you need to use any abrasives over the lathe put some rag over the ways and careful when you lift it off. :)

Stuart

Ah... I got Vactra #4 ways oil - it’s ISO 220 and IMO it holds better vs. running off.
I know a lot of people use ISO #68 (medium light) ways oil, 220 is probably considered heavy for most.

I got 5 gals - I bet I won’t remember it’s name by the time I’m half way through it - that’s a life time supply for a guy with one lathe / mill. :)

Ah... I got Vactra #4 ways oil - it’s ISO 220 and IMO it holds better vs. running off.
I know a lot of people use ISO #68 (medium light) ways oil, 220 is probably considered heavy for most.

I got 5 gals - I bet I won’t remember it’s name by the time I’m half way through it - that’s a life time supply for a guy with one lathe / mill. :)

The Vactra oil is a bit difficult to get in less than 5 gallon hear in the uk and I havn't got the space unfortunately, I was buying it in 1 liter tins but it was a bit expensive that way, I'm currently using an off brand oil called slideway 68 (might be castrol) which was a bit cheaper and available in 1 gallon container.

In a totally un scientific review I would say the vactra was better but not so much as I feel bad about the way oil I am using :)

Stuart

1) is there a better / best type of oil squirt can for the ball type lube points on the ways / aprons ... the tip on mine kind of stinks

Depends on what you want. If you want something that will likely last you the rest of your life then look into Reilang cans. They sell a push type oiler, that is what you are alluding to. I have several of this one and gently filed the tip to fit the ball oilers; it also works for general use as well. These things work right side up, upside down or sideways and they work every time, without leaking. Parts are also available should they malfunction, which mine haven't for over a decade. Good stuff.

2) is there a better type of rag to use for coating ways than others

I use toilet paper to spread way oil. It lasts long enough to get the job done and gets thrown away afterwards. A rag will accumulate debris and will last long enough for you to re-use it and deposit that rubbish on your machines. Use something disposable.

The manual for my Lathe, PM1440HD, says to use Mobil DTE Heavy Medium for everything. That includes gear cases and ways.
I bought a 5 gallon can from a local distributor in 2017 for $83.
I wipe down the ways and use the ball oilers pretty often and I cover it with a painters drop when not in use. I have it in an Eagle flex spout, pump oiler. We stock Vectra way oil for another machine but don't want to mix them up.

Make a new oil spout
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...-in-your-shop-today.67833/page-34#post-632165 message 1017
or here
It works brilliantly

For oil cans I use the Goldenrod pump cans with flexible spout. They don't break the bank and work well. I prefer to have one at each machine so I use the 6oz or 10oz cans. Never had an issue with the tips.

For rags I buy the bulk packs of cotton white towels as I prefer these for wiping my hands, tooling and parts vs paper towels. New towels get used for final wipe down only and as they get dirtier they then get used for rough cleaning / wiping until they are too dirty to be useful.

I use flood coolant on my CNC mill which is purpose build for flood coolant. I have used it on the lathe a few times and have come to the conclusion that it is too much trouble when only used occasionally. I send too much time cleaning after using it and the coolant evaporates to quickly for the number of times it is used. On the PM-1440GT the access for the coolant tank and pump sucks. Terrible, awful, horrible, stupid design. I moved mine outside of the lathe base and made a stand and sheet metal cover for the tank.

I used to hate ball oilers until I starting buying needle tip bottles. Wayyyyy better than using an oil can. I buy Mcmaster 1902T127 (https://www.mcmaster.com/1902t127). The small needle also limits your oil useage and waste. My way oil is Vactra #2 (https://www.mcmaster.com/2158k21). $30 for a gallon, will last you years.

I use my fingers to spread oil on the ways. Plain paper towels to clean .

I have several Goldenrod oil cans and to stop the little ball from blocking the tip of the nozzle I put a tiny slot in the end of the nozzle so oil can get around the ball and down into the galleys. Seems to work for me.

Oil I put on the ways just gets removed by the way protectors on the saddle, so I always use the ball oilers on the saddle. And the more oil the better IMO. :)

Back