Newb looking for advice.

Greaser

Registered
Registered
Hey fellow chip makers.
I am just getting into the game, mostly for gunsmithing. I have decided on either the pm727v or the pm728 I don't know if the 728 would be worth the extra cost for what I will be doing, aluminum, light cuts in steel, and drilling and tapping. I was just wondering if anyone has any opinions one way or the other. I will also be getting a pm lathe which will see much more use so any money I save on the mill will go towards the lathe.
Thanks

I do primarily pistolsmithing, on my mill/lathe, and my usage is about 70% mill, 30% lathe. Are you doing mostly rifle work?

But no matter, as my vote is for quality and accuracy so I stuck with Taiwan machines and have had zero complaints about my machines (935TS and 1340GT). Your priorities may differ, but you did ask for opinions. :D

Yes I will do mostly rifle work but some pistol, slide milling etc. Priorities are the same looks like the budget may be a bit different though LoL. I had to leave my job because of a back injury I sustained in the military that has deteriorated. I am going to school on what little gi bill I have left to get officially trained on machining and gunsmithing. I am going to sell some of my guns to pick up a mill so I can start bringing in some cash. I am also space and 220v deficient. Okay that was a lot longer of a post than I planned, long story short the 728 is the very upper end of my budget if I plan on getting tooling.

The 728VT will have a better fit and finish, has AC spindle bearings and twice the rpm range. The working dimensions look similar. The extra rpms can be useful if using small endmills which will work better in a low HP machine.

Either will work for light machine work.

Okay, thanks guys. I figured as much but always good to check with those who know.

I am a neophyte hobby machinist and have had my PM-27V for a year and have about 200+ hours on the machine. I got it with 2 axis DRO installed. I have had not problems to report and am quite happy. I did add a couple of 4" square steel tubes to the stand to get it up a little higher. Just my two cents......

Back