Newb quick change tool post/tooling suggestions

GunsOfNavarone

Registered
Registered
Good evening fellas. I am picking up my G0602z at the UPS hub in the next few days (renting a trailer so I can drive it directly into my garage) anyway, I was looking at QCP as I won't have the patience for the stock one. Any suggestions? I realize it is a budget lathe so of course I'm not looking at a $1000 setup, but if it doesn't work well and isn't good at being....well, a quick change then....I
A couple ideas, ALORIS & DORIAN. Also size/series.
Now along with the post....the tools. Remeber, this is a whole new field for me. I understand the different types for different approaches/cuts, but brands/material? I need to get in ordering soon! Anything else that will make my life easier?
Thanks as always!

I have found out that the cheap import tollposts work really well. At least mine does. Of course, as always, one should open the thing and remove all casting sand and grinding compound that is left inside. Some of the surfaces may need to meet a file.

I have a similarly sized chinese lathe and I have found the following items usable:
- quick change tool post
- 4-jaw chuck
- indicator holder that attaches in the tool post for aligning the items in the chuck (not a magnetic but physical attachment)
- extra tool holders
- Noga deburring tool
- good quality files WITH HANDLES
- set of micrometers
- dial caliper
- dial indicator and test indicator
- good quality combination square
- LOT of patience

I have found the checp magnetic indicator stand miserable. They cannot be used for exact measurements. In addition their magnets collect small swarf particles and make everything they touch magnetic as well. I simply hate mine. So I use physical attachment for indicator whenever possible.

One thing about the tool post holder is that the bolt used to attach it to the compound is originally a rattle fit. It helps a lot if this fit is precise. One of the first things I made was a bolt to attach this thing to the compound. I also made a handle on the nut so I don't need to look for a wrench every time I need to rotate the holder.

IMG_5136.JPGIMG_5137.JPGIMG_5138.JPGIMG_5139.JPG

I have the 602 lathe.

I bought the Grizzly T10166 QCTP and a Grizzly 1/2" keyless chuck when I bought the lathe. For me, the ability to easily adjust tool height was an important feature. The QCTP set is compatible with AXA tooling and I bought additional tool holders from Shars as they seemed better made than the Grizzly tool holders and were actually less expensive. The QCTP has performed well for me. If I were buying a new QCTP, I would get the wedge style rather than the piston style. Not that I have had problems with the piston style but the wedge style is reported to have better repeatability.

A collet chuck is a good addition as it permits reasonably low TIR work without having to resort to dialing in the four jaw. It also provides for better grip on parts, especcially thin wall and less chance of marring the finish of the part.

I bought a 5C collet chuck for the lathe, largely because I already had a 5C collet set. Had I not had the collets, I probably would have gone with an ER32 or ER40 chuck as they had a larger grip range and would require fewer collets to cover the entire working range. A 5C collet set would increment by a least 1/32" and preferably by 1/64".

For tooling, I already had a good selection of brazed carbide and HHS tool bits. I regrind my worn tool bits which makes for very economixal operation. For carbide, I use a $100 HF diamond disk. I recently added carbide insert tooling.

The first major upgrade that I made was to make a six bolt hold down for the compound. It is detailed elsewhere on this forum and has been copied and is available commercially. It greatly adds to the rigidity of the compound. I also made a carriage stop and a spindle stop. Both are detailed elsewhere on this forum.

The largest and most complicated modification was adding a reversing tumbler. Aside from adding the capability of left hand threading, it permits easily disengaging the lower gear train which saves wear and tear on the gears and lead screw. I made a new threading dial as the OEM dial was poorly made and didn't register properly. A detailed posting was done on the site.

I added a three axis DRO to the lathe (x, z, and tailstock) based on the TouchDRO by Yuryi. At the very least, adding an iGaging DRO to the tailstock makes for accurate movements when using the tailstock. A detailed posting was done on the site.

For the G0602z lathe you are looking at an AXA size QCTP.

My first ever tool post was a piston type. I now have a wedge type which I think is the better of the two styles. The piston type never felt locked in and they sometimes wont work with other brands of holders. I've never had a holder not fit a wedge type.

I have had both Aloris & Dorian BXA size tool posts on my previous lathe and currently have a Bostar import CXA size on my current lathe. The difference is in overall quality, fit and finish. Performance wise I have found no difference and I run my equipment hard sometimes. That being said, if I come across a good deal on a used Dorian I will change out my Bostar for that just because they are smoother in operation and the handle position is adjustable.

As for tool holders I think the ones from Allied Industrial are the best bang for the buck.

Awe man! This is exactly the kind of details I really need to know. Learning the way that cost money, waste & time has been avoided! Well maybe not EVERYTHING, but a huge help guys, I really appreciate it.

I bought my QCTP from my favorite store, Amazon, about 18 months ago: All Industrial QCTP and I notice the price is still the same. Additional AXA holders are $15. I use it on a Smithy and only had to slightly enlarge the hole in the compound to make it fit. I made a nut with a handle on it instead of having to search for a wrench all the time; most people do the same. It's worked great for me.
SANY0001_2.JPG

I have a Phase 2 brand (chinese) AXA on my Southbend, I've been pretty happy with it. No need to break you bank on a top brand for hobby use.

I have been using an import QCTP on my 9 inch sb lathe and it has worked out fine. I have made several tool holders out of aluminum and they worked fine and were fun projects. Be sure to watch Tubal Cain's dove tail cutting video on YouTube.

I have a Phase 2 brand (chinese) AXA on my Southbend, I've been pretty happy with it. No need to break you bank on a top brand for hobby use.
If my memory serves me, I believe the America company (forgot which of the two i mentioned) is only $100 more than the Chinese version. With tariff being around for the foreseeable future, we probably should get use to either inflated prices or making an American purchase. Part of my problem is, I don't know what is at what level of quality yet....all these names are new to me. The sticker price is all I have for a litmus so I really rely on the info from you guys....again, I super appreciate it and don't (not) take it into consideration.

I have been using an import QCTP on my 9 inch sb lathe and it has worked out fine. I have made several tool holders out of aluminum and they worked fine and were fun projects. Be sure to watch Tubal Cain's dove tail cutting video on YouTube.
I will be looking into his videos...THANKS!

Back