Newb quick change tool post/tooling suggestions

Just my opinion but why not stick it out with the original toolpost and spend your money elsewhere for now on quality tools your going to need. A quality live centre alone will be over 300$. Once you have shimmed your tooling keep the shims with the tools with an elastic band. A four post tool post can be quicker than a qctp. Four tools held in each position and simply index the toolpost to the next tool. Quicker than a qctp. Down the rd. Maybe look into a qctp. For now I would put the money towards quality. It s crazy expensive and you only want to buy once. Don t cheap out it will only be replaced at a later date.

So I went Phase 2. There seems to be a lot of good reviews on it but still affordable versus some...I don’t even know where to start with tooling, bought a Accusize 7 tool kit...again, high reviews...it’s all I got to go on.
The tool post really seems to be everyone’s #1 mod they do to (at least) this lathe. I know I have much to still buy AND I plan on buying a mill in the next few weeks...yikes!
4 days now...still not even plugged in...

I was just responding to a similar post a few days ago. Here were my suggestions...

I just tooled up a slightly larger 12x36 lathe. After a few months of using it, here are my thoughts.

Used all the time:
-Swiss Type test indication (0.0005") and flexible mag base. This is a must have. You don't need to spend a fortune.
-1/2" keyless drill chuck and MT arbor to match tailstock. Don't buy bigger than 1/2" right now.
-Quick change tool post (CDCO tool makes a cheap but nice one)
-4 jaw chuck. Must have for any accurate work where you must pick up existing features or requires back work.
-Basic OD turning tools and a few boring bars (I use indexable carbide, but most will point you to HSS, you decide)
-Measuring tools, get some calipers, telescoping bore gages, micrometers as big as you expect to turn (0-3" to start maybe?), and the test indicator stated above. Your work is only as good as you can measure. You don't need super name brand stuff, but I would recommend buying new, or at least buying standards to check your used instruments.

Used only a little:
-Dead center
-Live center

Haven't used and probably might never need:
-Faceplate
-Headstock center
-turning dogs

I love Shars tool company (out of Illinois). They import all their stuff, but it seems to be better quality than most imports (plus they will replace anything which doesn't meet your quality standards). They're pretty inexpensive too.

IMO, there is a a difference in buying junk, midrange, and production quality stuff. Don't waste your money on the junk, but don't go crazy on the tooling cost, unless you intend to start production runs. The nicer, import stuff works great and will last many years.

when I set up my I purchase ALORIS
But At time Aloris was new on market and the price was not to bad.
Today I would look at lower cost version

Dave

Good evening fellas. I am picking up my G0602z at the UPS hub in the next few days (renting a trailer so I can drive it directly into my garage) anyway, I was looking at QCP as I won't have the patience for the stock one. Any suggestions? I realize it is a budget lathe so of course I'm not looking at a $1000 setup, but if it doesn't work well and isn't good at being....well, a quick change then....I
A couple ideas, ALORIS & DORIAN. Also size/series.
Now along with the post....the tools. Remeber, this is a whole new field for me. I understand the different types for different approaches/cuts, but brands/material? I need to get in ordering soon! Anything else that will make my life easier?
Thanks as always!

So I went Phase 2. There seems to be a lot of good reviews on it but still affordable versus some...I don’t even know where to start with tooling, bought a Accusize 7 tool kit...again, high reviews...it’s all I got to go on.
The tool post really seems to be everyone’s #1 mod they do to (at least) this lathe. I know I have much to still buy AND I plan on buying a mill in the next few weeks...yikes!
4 days now...still not even plugged in...

Good choice. I have a EBay special on my lathe the handle was indexed wrong and the threads would not restart to correct it. The bad thing the piston one from Grizzly that came on the lathe was that way also.

I drilled and tapped a new hole and moved the handle where it was supposed to be. Then made a plug for the old hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My G0602 with the fixed 4 position tool hold did NOT allow for 1/2 inch tools. You can cut or grind off the bottoms (or tops) or just go with 3/8". I recommend the latter. I got my QCTP from Shars and have been very satisfied. It repeats excellently which is the main reason for me. You might check PM for a carbide insert set for your lathe. They have a 3/8" with inserts for both ferrous and non-ferrous (one way to describe it).

Good choice. I have a EBay special on my lathe the handle was indexed wrong and the threads would not restart to correct it. The bad thing the piston one from Grizzly that came on the lathe was that way also.

I drilled and tapped a new hole and moved the handle where it was supposed to be. Then made a plug for the old hole.

Everything you said is completely unacceptable. I mean the equipment isn't free, just affordable. I think expecting the exact opposite of your experiance(s) isn't asking too much?

My G0602 with the fixed 4 position tool hold did NOT allow for 1/2 inch tools. You can cut or grind off the bottoms (or tops) or just go with 3/8". I recommend the latter. I got my QCTP from Shars and have been very satisfied. It repeats excellently which is the main reason for me. You might check PM for a carbide insert set for your lathe. They have a 3/8" with inserts for both ferrous and non-ferrous (one way to describe it).
Very startnge. I purchased 3/8" tools, but the manual says up to 1/2" tools. I'll have to screenshot it. Maybe it's 31/64"? Lol..

Everything you said is completely unacceptable. I mean the equipment isn't free, just affordable. I think expecting the exact opposite of your experiance(s) isn't asking too much?

The thing is I had a AXA import on my smaller lathe and it didn’t have that problem.

Phase ll is a bit more expensive than the bottom feeder brands. Never tried Shars or one of the larger dealers. I’d hope their products would be better.

In my case I thought all wedge type could be changed the center screw to adjust them, like the AXA I had on the Lathemaster. But the eBay special wasn’t that way. Since I done had cash in a replacement BXA wedge it was easier to move the handle. Since I do make videos I did put it on this video

Back