Newbee, what books to choose

D

Douglasr

Forum Guest
Register Today
What are everyone's opinion on the top three best books to start out with?

Douglas,
Depends a lot on what kind of equipment you have really. Some books will be appropriate for both the lathe and mill, while some will be more appropriate for specific types of work that you intend to do. If you could point us in the direction that you plan to pursue I am sure that we can get your library into good shape quickly. While your thinking about what types of projects you are interested in you can also have a look at You Tube and get some idea of the many operations that can be performed on either or both machines. I also tend to recommend the workshop practice series because they do one subject at a time and explain it well. They also have projects that make nice shop tools when you are done. Have a look.

Bob

Machine Shop know How, Frank Marlow- Machine Shop Trade Secrets, James A. Harvey- Metalworking Sink Or Swim, Tom Lipton.

Right now I have a7 x12 lathe, drill press, grinder, etc no mill yet . I am looking into trying engine buildind to get used to the lathe

machine tool operation -- burghardt vol i - lathe & bench work ...vol 2 -shaper planer mill drill press ,. grinders...abt $10 ebay , abe books amazon ...tremendous number printed...........burghardt was head of industrial ed for high schools in NJ ......any edition starting in early 20's .......i still refer back 50 yrs later ..........of more value to HSM starting out than some later ones which teach for industry today ...where all tooling is bought & finsihing is different ...lathe work is now sent to the grinder for finishing ,,,olde tymers left a couple thou for file.emery cloth ..hsmfrequently need to finish as turned w/ a decent finish ....necessitating different hs steel grinds on the bit ....in vol 2 on shapers or planers, th e shear bit is described , with which whne adpated to th e lathe gives a cut angles across the feed lines whne used w/ a 3 tou or less cut ...a 1/2 thou cut can be taken w/ this bit when needed ....
some will disagree , but light lathes & antique lathes shud use HS ...sharper , easier to grind /resharpen carbiide shud be reseerved for hardened steel & large cast iron work ...the force & speed required for GOOD carbide work are not suited to light machines...when HS replaced carbon steel toolbits , the lathes were beefed up ( around 1900 in fact at first suppliers wud not sell HS for the old lathes ...when carbide & high speeds were getting started , they were beefed up even more....my 1895 14 in weighs abt 15-1600 ..WW114in monarch weighs 2000+...later 14in monarchs for carbide tooling were.circa 4000#..ALSO ..HS is .way cheaper & learning to grind bits is near mandatory , almost as much as learning to sharpen drill bits manually ...thats in burghardts book also ..w/ some practice , you can sharpen a bit in 7-8 seconds ...less time than it takes to just set up the bit in drill grinding machines ........the bench work section has forging which is how EARLY machinistt made their tools.....
both atlas & southbend have manuals on how to use a lathe ...SB ones sell for less...
best wishes
doc

If you are totally new to machining and wish to learn the basic concepts of metal working, how it cuts, how lathes, mills, drill presses, etc., all work and the basics of how to perform operations on those machines, I highly recommend "Machine Shop Practice" Volumes 1 and 2, by Karl Hans Moltrecht and were published in 1981. Both volumes are available from Enco as well as some other sources. I have a set of these and they are an excellent starting reference as well as a good review for the more experienced machinist.

Volume 1 covers the following: Basic metal cutting, Basic Measuring, Layout Work, Drilling Machines, Twist Drills, Lathes, Single point cutting tools, Cylindrical turning, chucking work, taper and angle turning, faceplate work, screw threads and measurements, cutting screws, turret lathes, production lathes, vertical lathes, precision hole location, jig boring machines, metal cutting saws.

Volume 2 covers: Shaper construction and shaper work, Planers and planer work, milling cutters, milling machine operations, indexing, dividing head work, surface grinding, cutter and tool grinding, numerical controlled machines, and surface plate work.

Another good set for beginners that is also available from Enco is the "Machine Shop Training Course" by Franklin D. Jones. This two volume set dates back to the mid 1960's but is still a good resource. I do not have any first hand experience with this set, but I suspect that it is every bit as good as the Moltrecht set above.

Volume 1: Principles of metal cutting, lathe operations, single point form tools and tool grinding, speeds and feeds principles, cooling and lubrication, screw threads, turret lathes, vertical boring and turning machines, drilling and reaming holes, spacing and locating holes, cylinder boring, jig boring, measuring instruments, gage blocks, generating surfaces and angles, blueprint reading, and shop safety.

Volume 2: Tapping, dies, milling and grinding screw threads, rolling processes, planning processes; milling flat, curved, and irregular surfaces; indexing; cutting spur and bevel gears; grinding cylindrical and tapered parts; grinding milling cutters and reamers; lapping; broaching internal and external surfaces; chipping, filing and scraping; tool steels for metal cutting; heat treatment of steels; numerical controls.

I got the Connelly Machine Tool Reconditioning and the standard machinery's handbook, they really give insight into how our machine work and what makes them tick. Tim

Also, you might want to have a look at Metal Turning on the Lathe by Clark(editor of Model Engineers' Workshop) & Milling by Stan Bray (usual disclaimers). Similar to the Workshop Practice Series but perhaps more aligned with current equipment. For the Clark text I can only quote Amazon as it is not yet available (Canada).

To all, thanks for the ideas . While I am new to the lathe, I have been in the metal construction trades for over 30yr. I started as a pipefitter, became a certified tig welder before moving up thru supervision. I lot of what I have done transfers over but the mechanics of the lathe and what it is capible of, I 'm still trying to learn. Thanks for the help

Back