Newbie and the Bridgeport

Range just changes spindle direction, period. Engaging backgear changes spindle direction, so you need to reverse spindle (motor) direction.

Grease in hole "A". Squeeze it in and estimate the volume.

I'm not familiar with that grease/oil? fitting in the front... never seen one there before. Maybe someone else can help??? I'd have to see where the grease/oil would end up going when the head was taken apart... Remember, some zerts take oil not grease.

Looks like there's is something up in the kick out linkage. Removing the ball: Never had this issue, but the ball needs to come out. Can you make a small scraper out of an old small file and work the hole around the perimeter of the ball to open the hole up? Must be the hole is burred over holding the ball in. Or, maybe if you have a small rotary file bit on a Dremel (or whatever) you can work the hole opening??? You might ruin the ball, but they are easy to replace.

Speed change. Open it up; you should not have to remove the pin. Just re-wrap the chain in the correct rotation (direction) by turning the crank the other way when you have it removed. IIRC, this is all you have to do. I had the same issue when I assembled my first one.

Good luck,
Ted

Thanks, Ted. So after pulling the speed dial, finagling out the SHCS from behind to pull the shaft, I realized that the set screw in the front of the dial (behind the speed indicator plate) is a limiter that stops the shaft from continuing its travel. I backed out the set screw and was able to just crank the wheel until the shaft had essentially flipped the chain to the other side and now all is working as intended.

thanks again! I’ll try working that ball out. I’ve tried to get a small pick down there but no joy.

Had a couple of seconds tonight so I looked at the book we both now have. On page 68 it gives detailed directions on removing that collar you are struggling with. You have to push the feed reverse knob inward to lock the shaft. This might push the ball out of that hole/detent.

Read that section again and make sure you're not missing something. That ball should just fall right out.

Good luck,
Ted

Had a couple of seconds tonight so I looked at the book we both now have. On page 68 it gives detailed directions on removing that collar you are struggling with. You have to push the feed reverse knob inward to lock the shaft. This might push the ball out of that hole/detent.

Read that section again and make sure you're not missing something. That ball should just fall right out.

Good luck,
Ted

Ted, I ended up getting it out. When I took the machine apart, I had to cut the collar off because the ball wouldnt come. I also had to cut a very small groove next to the ball on the shaft so I could get a pick under it to pop it out. Then, not learning my lesson, I proceeded to reassemble the machine without fixing the issue. Anhow, that groove is still there and allowed me to get a pick under it and just heave it out. Once out, I took a chamfering bit to the hole to remove any edges that were rolled over. Also use a needle file to make sure the ball was slipping in and out as intended. Good to go now.

Still haven't fixed my downfeed issue after pulling apart the whole assembly and cleaning it well to ensure there's no gunk in it. I think it's back in the clutch area. Like that spring/pin isn't doing enough work to throw the lever back. I may go to ace and grab a stiffer spring and see what happens. Start narrowing things down.

I've literally just overhauled the feed limit mech on my machine. Few notes:

The round bushing should slide off with the ball still in its pocket. At least it does on mine. Sure its not a burr on the other side with the grub screw over the keyway?

Remove the rocker at the bottom, it's likely either bent or the adjustment screw is missing or damaged. Or, the tiny rocker for the up feed stop at the top is broken or bent prevent the shaft from moving smoothly, which is also not unlikely. Looks like the plunger isn't moving upwards quite enough to knock the pin out of the pocket to release the drive.

The play in the lever is normal, you'll understand when you get it off. It's an interesting little mechanism.

Good luck :)

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but the downfeed screw, that your depth stop nut nut is on, needs to be free to slide up and down about 3/8", and the teetering lever at the bottom end (can't remember the name) of this same screw needs to be free to teeter. Other wise it can prevent the depth stop kick out from occurring properly.

Back