Newbie and the Bridgeport

Wow! A documented case of an easy-out actually working rather than just making the situation worse by lodging broken-off harden metal into the hole.

I think I can count on one finger the number of times I have heard about it working......including this case!

Great progress!

-brino

PS: this is only partially in jest, but my experience with them (of many different styles and manufacturers) is very poor.
However, I do not think I have ever tried one under power, except in a handheld drill.

Beginners luck :)

@Ceej0103 if you have it hooked up to the box, you can verify that it is showing movement. As far as verifying truly if the scale is working and accurate, it needs to be on the machine/properly aligned to test that. So ya, just holding the reader head by hand you can move it and see if its reading.

Jon

@Ceej0103 if you have it hooked up to the box, you can verify that it is showing movement. As far as verifying truly if the scale is working and accurate, it needs to be on the machine/properly aligned to test that. So ya, just holding the reader head by hand you can move it and see if its reading.

Jon

@hwelecrepair thanks so much! I really appreciate you following me around and answer my questions. From the looks of your location and name, you must be associated with H&W Machine Repair? I think I saw a guy named Jon in some of the YouTube videos. One in particular was the installation of a DRO on a Bridgeport. That you?

Last edited:
Day 9 and 10...

Not a whole lot to update. Got the knee and pedestal painted and the gib installed. Got really hung up trying to free some parts from the crank side of the knee shaft and ended up destroying them. I'm not proud of myself for breaking out the pipe wrenches, but I could tell they weren't coming apart without being forced and I had just set my mind to reclaiming what I could from that shaft and just buying a new one. Got a whole bunch of parts fresh out of the Evaporust and ready to be polished up or painted.

I have the ram adapter soaking in some degreaser and will clean that up tomorrow. Spent the rest of tonight getting the garage back in order after tearing it apart for the Bridgeport rebuild and then further scatting crap around when I sold my benchtop mill and lathe today. So trying to get back to an organized garage so I can lay parts out on my table and paint them.

Attachments

• IMG_2281.jpeg
    IMG_2281.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2282.jpeg
    IMG_2282.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2292.jpeg
    IMG_2292.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2293-1.jpeg
    IMG_2293-1.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2301.jpeg
    IMG_2301.jpeg
    916 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2302.jpeg
    IMG_2302.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2303.jpeg
    IMG_2303.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2305.jpeg
    IMG_2305.jpeg
    1,006.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2306.jpeg
    IMG_2306.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
@hwelecrepair thanks so much! I really appreciate you following me around and answer my questions. From the looks of your location and name, you must be associated with H&W Machine Repair? I think I saw a guy named Jon in some of the YouTube videos. One in particular was the installation of a DRO on a Bridgeport. That you?

Thats me, I am the DRO/power feed guy. I like getting onto forums to help in any way I can with tips and tricks.

Jon

Watching this! I picked up a varispeed 9x42 couple years ago that wasn't in quite as rusty but looked like hell. Had been sitting in a wood working shop and had a lot of nasty crud built up. Turned out to be pretty good underneath. I did a head rebuild (H&W and this forum saved me multiple times there) but did not pull the saddle and tackle the body and freshen that all up. Watching this thread I'm kinda wishing I had. That black paint is awesome. Great quarantine project!

@Ceej0103,

The fresh paint looks great!

I'm not proud of myself for breaking out the pipe wrenches, but I could tell they weren't coming apart without being forced

Sometimes you gotta use the less desirable tools in the tool box.
But it looks like you know what you're doing to make it all right again!

-brino

@hwelecrepair just broke in to the DRO. Here’s 2 videos for you. The unit itself says Acurite II on it and the scales say Acurite-5. One of the reader heads will read and seems to be accurate according to my perceived distance traveled when moving it. The other one just causes slight flickers in the unit with no registration of movement. I flipped the X and Y around to see if it was the reader or the unit itself and it seems to be the reader head. The good reader will register movement when plugged in to either axis.

Whats also interesting is that the X readout seems to have the decimal in the wrong position. When I feel like I’ve moved an inch, it reads .1000. The Y scale appears to work correctly when showing 1” as 1.0000. Most of the buttons on the unit don’t see to do anything. The zero/reset button works and both toggle switches for inch/mm and on/off.

The button next to 9 and 6 are broken off. They appear to have a bulb in them. Not sure what they do. The one next to the 9 clears the readout when I press it.

I’m thinking I may just invest in a more modern unit. This one may eventually work, but this isn’t my cup of tea and not sure what I would sink in to it to get it working.

What do you think??

Disregard me wife telling me she’s going to rob a bank and asking me if I want a chicken biscuit.

@Ceej0103,

The fresh paint looks great!

Sometimes you gotta use the less desirable tools in the tool box.
But it looks like you know what you're doing to make it all right again!

-brino

Thanks, Brino! Got a care packages touching down Monday and should have all the parts needed to put this thing back together. Then ill break in to the Head and see what treasures I find.

Back