Newbie custom countershaft 101.07301

92VwGTI

Registered
Registered
Hello,

I recently picked up this 101.07301 for $200. I’ve cleaned it up a bit, gone thru the oiling process, and built a base for the lathe. This lathe has a custom built countershaft setup (I was unaware of this when I bought it but after research and further examination it is definitely not factory). I am unsure of the best way to mount the motor and countershaft assembly. I need the ability to loosen the belt for speed changes and the countershaft only has three pulleys while the headstock has four. I have a tendency to over complicate things before I get them right so I figured I would ask for ideas before I build something that’s going to be difficult to use. Thanks in advance!648850E0-DBF5-440D-8AB0-6444D0423CD5.jpeg8F67BE08-9EEA-42E3-9400-DC4E6DA270BD.jpeg1DE51F5E-B41C-4998-982C-F4EF471EC9E2.jpeg06A3D2A4-CA53-45A3-89DB-EE157CA2666E.jpeg648850E0-DBF5-440D-8AB0-6444D0423CD5.jpeg

Reactions: Z2V
I would just run it as is until perhaps you discover that:
A) You really need the highest speed (which is doubtful) or
B) You don't like the amount of room the motor/countershaft unit takes up behind the machine
but in the mean time, enjoy!
Careful of your fingers... ;)
Mark

Maybe put a wood block on each side to keep the unit in line with the lathe but still allow it to move. From there you could add either an adjustable tension lever like most factory belt drives or just a bolt in a slot to clamp it down to the table. If you use a tension lever you might want something to positively clamp the motor assembly to the table so it doesn't vibrate. Like mark said, just clamping it down and using it as is for a while might help you figure out what you want to do.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Someone got pretty industrious with that set up , possibly it is missing the adjustment part or I just can't see it ? I'm with the guys , if you can easily get it running and if you want to get running ASAP . There was a guy posting a while back , his setup was pretty cool . The headstock belt went straight down and the countershaft bracket and motor were on the bottom shelf . On my setup the countershaft bracket is behind the headstock and the motor is on the bottom shelf . I'm pretty sure the countershaft bracket I have is the old style , where the new style type has the big arch for the motor to sit under .
Here is the new style.
s-l500.jpg

This is my setup , it has the old style countershaft bracket and it's missing the adjusting shaft and the pulley diameters are all wrong plus the motor pulley is wrong .

DSCF2434 by mark westi, on Flickr

I got to fire it up for the first time last night just holding tension on the motor with my hand and now I’m antsy to get it going lol. I had thought about putting a piece of angle iron on each side of the bracket to allow it to slide straight and a bungee cord from the back of the bracket to the wall behind it.

When I engage the half nut on the lead screw it just skips. The teeth look great, it just doesn’t clamp onto the lead screw tight enough. I guess I’ll figure out how to take that assembly apart later. If it’s a common issue feel free to share knowledge.

To diagnose the problem with the half nuts, I would recommend removing the tailstock, lead screw and carriage gib. Then crank the carriage off the end of the bed. You will then be able to examine all of the parts and determine where the wear is.

Back to the countershaft, I strongly recommend not trying to get by with the generic 3-speed countershaft that came with the lathe. Start looking for either the second version (original to the 07301) and third version (original to 618 and 101.21400. Either will work.

To diagnose the problem with the half nuts, I would recommend removing the tailstock, lead screw and carriage gib. Then crank the carriage off the end of the bed. You will then be able to examine all of the parts and determine where the wear is.

Back to the countershaft, I strongly recommend not trying to get by with the generic 3-speed countershaft that came with the lathe. Start looking for either the second version (original to the 07301) and third version (original to 618 and 101.21400. Either will work.
Will using the supplied pulley setup hinder my ability to learn the hobby? Between the machine, materials, and tooling I’m pretty much maxed on what I’d like to spend to start up this hobby. Knowing that a proper countershaft setup runs on average $200 on eBay, I know I’m not going to get that return out of the machine if I decide lathe turning isn’t for me. Later on if I enjoy turning as much as I think I will I will certainly invest more into the hobby and machine. If I enjoy the hobby I could care less about ROI.

Back