Newbie custom countershaft 101.07301

Will using the supplied pulley setup hinder my ability to learn the hobby?

Probably not. But I would not waste much time or money trying to make what you have usable on all three speeds. Get a copy of one of the 15 1937 editions of the Atlas Manual of Lathe Operations plus download and print the 618 or 101.07301 Threading Chart. The MOLO, among other things, has a speed chart showing Surface Feet Per Minute versus spindle RPM and work piece diameter. And sections on machining a lot of different metals and plastics.

You'll probably have other issues on the lathe that need attention- you can always revisit the countershaft later
Find out what else needs fixing then work out a parts budget that works for you
Mark
Here is an article describing a rebuild of a model like yours and some of the issues you might encounter:
https://www.snafu.org/other/2016-lathe/

What’s this part on the right called? It’s part of the halfnut setup.

EDIT: Found a parts breakdown. M6-38 split nut cam.

AD25CAAE-92B1-4D05-878C-10FC52388BAE.jpeg

Last edited:
Alright so this part is unavailable new from what I’ve seen and I’d rather not spend $50 on a used one if I don’t have to. I’m considering building up the worn portion with jb weld and filing it smooth. Does anyone else have ideas they’d like to share?

JB Weld won't work very long in that application. Especially if you are doing an interrupted cut. If the part is made of steel, have someone build up the worn area and re-machine it to original dimensions. And replace the stud in each half nut with new ones. If the part is Zamak, all that I can think of is to widen the slots by the amount of the wear and make and install oversize studs in the half nuts.

Have you called Clausing? 1-800-323-0972. Ask for old Atlas parts. And you may need half nuts. It appears that on the 6", the studs are cast as part of the half nuts.

I actually just came here to post that I found one for $26 on eBay. When I searched the part number on eBay it didn’t come up but searching on google with the exact same part number did bring up a listing.

Have you called Clausing? 1-800-323-0972. Ask for old Atlas parts. And you may need half nuts. It appears that on the 6", the studs are cast as part of the half nuts.
The half nuts are actually in pretty good shape. When the replacement cam comes in I’ll see how the fit is. It’s possible the studs are worn but they don’t look like it.

I think I would keep my eyes open for a decent countershaft setup. A lot of stuff is worth more in parts than as a whole unit and these little Atlas/Craftsman lathes seem to be a pretty extreme example of this rule.

My 6" cost me $300 bucks, I'm not sure where I am not as far as overall investment goes but it's well over what it's worth. That's OK as I've learned a lot and I have a working machine now. I think if I had to do it over again, with the experience of making my little 6" right I would have used the money go get a little bigger more complete unit. That being said it's a fun tool to have around.

K

Back