Newbie help needed with milling machine

n9jcv

Registered
Registered
I have access to a Enco milling machine. The machine however does not appear to be set up properly. Specifically when you are standing at the machine, the head/spindle is off to the right. The machine has a round column, but there are no wheels to move the head left or right. You can grab the head and move it right or left.

What is it called (the process? squaring???) to ensure the head points directly forward and not to the left or right? The machine appears to have 2 bolts near the rear that can be tightened to hold it in place, but how can I go about ensuring I set it at center before I tighten??

Any help would be great!
Thanks

Tramming I believe is the term you are looking for. You use a dial test indicator to square everything up. I've never done it, so I don't have details, but I know there are videos and such out there demonstrating the process.

Look up tramming a mill on youtube there's lots of videos that will help to see it done instead of having to do it just by reading

I do not believe it is tramming. In the pic above if the head was movex slightly to the right he could still have the same tramming results. Perhaps as Mark S says it is not imperative. But when would it be? And if so how does one do this?

Since it's the table that moves in X and Y the location of the head is immaterial. (so long as it's fixed in that position.)

Tramming the head has nothing to do with it's location, but with it's squreness/perpendicularity with the XY surface.

Back