Newbie here... Oil and lubrication questions...

ISO 68 ~ SAE20 Engine Oil ~ 80W Gear Oil. You may also see something like AW ISO 68, which is an Anti-Wear ISO 68 oil, i.e. has additives. I have not seen the ISO viscosity and Gear Oil SAE posted together, as mentioned I would just purchase oil for machines based on the ISO viscosity rating and that the type of oil is specified for the intended application. It is not rocket science, at the end of the day you just need basic lubrication. It is only confusing because in the US we use a different nomenclature for oil viscosity which is a bit dated. As Bob outlined, you can get the Walmart special hydraulic oil and it would work fine. Just avoid oils with detergents and Extreme Pressure (EP) additives.

On the gear teeth, you apply a thing film of the grease (or if you want oil) that works for you. If you use a belt cover you should not have an issue with contamination, if a gear fails it won't make a hill of beans what you use as a lubricant. You can try whatever you want on the gears and see what works for your machine, most of us have tried a host of lubricants (grease/oils) on the open gears and have settled on what we think works best for our lathe. On my machine the high impact grease works the best because it sticks and stays on the gears. The key is to apply a small amount, be very careful with the hands when the gears are spinning.

Food grade just means that it is non toxic
...."Food Grade Air Compressor Oil" (is the compressor food grade, or the oil? What does a cook use an air compressor for?), ".....
Divers, for 1, like to know that the oil used in their Breathing air compressor is non toxic.

Cheers Phil

Sorry to be gone so long, but thanks for the replies.

I'm a cook. I don't care if my air compressor oil is food grade. No, I don't use an air compressor in the kitchen. So... I don't think it is for the cooks ;)
What about dentists? Is some of their equipment pneumatic?

I just found out that there is a Tractor Supply not too far from where I live! Never needed to go there before, but now that I've found it, I'm sure I'll frequent the place.

Back