Newbie Here

dragos28

Registered
Registered
Hey guys I'm new to the machining world. I do some welding and simple fabrication. However I've stated making some parts for my off road group but I've been having a hard time as I've been making them by hand with a hand grinder using an aluminum wheels.
Needless to say they aren't looking too pretty.

6ba94d1ad0bcf3b4b9323a21f95a9e7d.jpg

b3fbf1d2c2ade6067e7739de66c02d95.jpg

055941933cf86009eb75fa773be4c972.jpg

I purchased a lms3990

Even though I've never used a mill, I'm assuming that it will allow me to make these pieces uniformly and consistent.

Any suggestions for the ultra newbie.

I think my question that i'm trying to ask is:
i'd like to make multiple pieces like the ones pictured above.

what is the most efficient process to do so on a manual mill.
what sort of bit/end mill would i use to remove/cut the aluminum?
what's the best process, do i draw out the line on my piece and eyeball where the milling bit cuts?

I'm assuming i will have to rotate the piece to make the different cuts, is there any way i could make this design without having to rotate the piece?
Accuracy is not a huge factor on this design, but I do have to make them in pairs, which will be a mirrored design so they need to be uniform.

thanks in advance, i've tried to read all about milling and have been watching hours of yt videos, but 99% of them are about milling on a solid block of aluminum.

I would use a vise stop or even make a fixture to locate the parts so that you can do the same operation on each part without changing setups. A quick sketch with dimensions will help a lot.

As I understand what your doing, you welding the pieces to make the "Box" and cleaning the welds by removing some material? Or are you machining to get accurate size? Holes pre drilled or drilled after welding? All sides machined for appearance? A fixture that hold the piece and exposes as many sides as possible and an end mill that is long enough to do the sides and then skim the top would allow you to do it in 2 set ups. As long as the cut is very light.

Tim

Thanks guys, the material is rectangular tube with 1/8" thick walls. I am cutting it in 6mm blocks and from there i have a template that i lay over it and draw the layout onto it. currently I am cutting with a hand grinder so my cuts are all uneven and crooked.
With this project there is no welding involved, just removing material and drilling holes.

i havent received my mill and vice yet... but in my mind i'm thinking of somehow placing the block in the vice with 3mm of it hanging off the side of the vice, i'd have to make a small block to compensate the other side of the vice as not to bind. and mill off the end that is hanging. the rectangle is 1.5"x2.5" so id' either have to lay it flat or standing on its side.

i'm not sure which would give me the best results.

I do like the of making a vice stop so the milling motion can be repeated, any suggestions on how to make a vice stop?

I dont plan on machining all the sides for appearance, i've purchased an 18lb vibratory tumbler with 2 different media so i'm assuming that will deburr and polish the pieces. then i'll be anodizing them.

all of this is new so i'll be learning as i go. lol.
lots of new tools and processes that i'll be learning.

A vice stop can be as easy as a clamp at the top of one of the jaws, toward one end. Or a magnetic indicator holder on the mill table with a rod sticking into the vise. I made one from a scrap, with a set screw, it fits over the top of the back vice jaw, the set screw holds it in place.

Now I get it. I think I would use a slitting saw. Depending on how square you the cut surfaces you could cut the unwanted portion in 2 cuts. If you want the cut to be square then you'd have to make each cut.

Tim

do you think my machine has the power to run a slitting saw?
it looks pretty slow... the material i'm cutting is only 1/8" thick.. wouldnt an endmill cut through it much faster?

If you cut the pieces a little long, you can clean up the ends on the mill. The vise stop could be something as simple as a block clamped to the table with a bolt sticking out of it, but I'd just buy one of the stops that clamps onto the back jaw of the vise. Figure out where you need to drill on the first part and then do the rest.

Back