Newbie Here

do you think my machine has the power to run a slitting saw?
it looks pretty slow... the material i'm cutting is only 1/8" thick.. wouldnt an endmill cut through it much faster?
You should be fine.

I'm talking to a machinist on another forum (truck forum) and he recommended using dial indicators as the poor man's DRO
He uses them on the X&Y axis and i think thats something i'd also like to do so i can make repeated cuts and have some numerical value to go by.

Check out the iGaging and the eBay Sino DRO's for a couple of options.

I'm talking to a machinist on another forum (truck forum) and he recommended using dial indicators as the poor man's DRO
He uses them on the X&Y axis and i think thats something i'd also like to do so i can make repeated cuts and have some numerical value to go by.

You can get a couple of inexpensive dial indicators and stands for under $50. In addition to your mill, you can use them on other machines you may acquire such as a lathe, drill press, etc.

Also you would find them quite handy for tramming your mill, checking alignment on a lathe, ensuring your work piece is traveling properly, etc. And you could use them to measure table movement as you stated.

I'm not saying that DROs are not something good to have. I am saying you'll probably want a couple of dial indicators anyway and they can do to get you started.

thanks! I'll make sure to pick up a couple aswell!

now the hard part... waiting for everything to show up!

While waiting for my parts to arrive I've started to make the anodizing setup.

4c0bb17917b237617feec58a73a2064a.jpg

7e8ca4af2d2ba82777fa3b16ab1df265.jpg

8e4164b9e05bc69e91e6ffa55d1fd187.jpg

93e4e3bf69aa5951c34888493a916886.jpg

You do better work eith what you have than I can do. I'd cut my pieces a little long and even them up with the mill
Thanks ron

I started to do the top plate with the hand grinder but quickly got frustrated so i brought out my plasma cutter.
It was all free hand as you can tell by the wobbly lines, but i got it done in a few minutes. would have taken half an hour with the hand grinder.

Back